My Les Paul Tribute....

Started by Justin_Case, August 17, 2009, 07:36:27 PM

Justin_Case

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

In late 1977, I was a 16 year old kid who was trying to learn to play guitar.

Musically it was strange times - Saturday Night Fever was the thing, Progressive Arena Rock like ELP, Yes were making the rounds, and Aerosmith was on my turntable all the time.

At that age, I would go down to my local guitar shop so often, that if not for the kindness of the manager, I could have been arrested for vagrancy. 

The manager  would often take time for me to answer questions and I always would enjoy hearing him play more jazzy runs with no pick and more complex runs with one.  In our talking I mentioned to him that I enjoyed what he played, and he sort of said to me - "there is a lot more out there than Rock and Disco". 

I asked him what he could recommend for me - his response - go buy  " Chester and Lester - Guitar Monsters ".  At the time I thought Les Paul was just a guitar designer. The next day I hit the record shop.  You should have seen the look on the record store owner's face when I was at the check out buying the Sex Pistols first album at the same time. 

On the Chester and Lester album is a rendition of "Over the Rainbow" that to this 30+ years later still grabs my soul the way it did that day. The sweetness and expression in the playing mesmerized me.  All this time later, I can't still figure out exactly why, but just so thankful to have been introduced to very different world of music.  From that point on, I was always open to and looked for new things to listen to and wanting to learn.

Life moves on and somewhere in 1994, between Son #1 and #2, a house being built, 2 moves - one to an apartment where I could not play my guitars, 2 rounds of scouts,10 years of soccer, baseball and basketball coaching, yard work and a career, the guitars were put down for a long time 

In the spring of 2008 my younger son was obsessed with Guitar Hero. He kept asking me to see my guitars and amps.  Reluctantly I got them out.  A short time later he then came to me asking if he could get his own guitar.  When asked him what he wanted, it was a Les Paul.    Long story short, he zoned in on a Les Paul, and it had to be a Zakk Wylde Custom to boot.  Even the EPI version on this one is $900 out the door.

I made a deal with him that he would have to earn half and I would match the rest. Attila the Mom freaked when she heard about my pact.  I told her " you just don't understand".  Long story short, between saving up $250 by working around the hous, loving grandparents, his birthday, and a father with a penchant for good deals on ebay, Junior got is EPI-ZW-LPC for his 13th Birthday.

Over the next several months, he would come to me for help or to try to show me what he had picked up.  This got me playing again and spending some real quality time with my son, plus the enjoyment in seeing him learn and have a lifelong skill to enjoy also. 

I have lived my entire life in North NJ, as did Les Paul since the 50s when he and Mary Ford moved to Mahwah N.J., no more than 15 miles from my current home.   Les played for 12 years at Fat Tuesdays in NYC and the next 14 years at the Iridium Jazz Club also in NYC. Both these just 15 miles from my home also.  I kept promising myself to get in to " The City" to see him.  I wanted to see him play and to say "thanks" for the gift of an appreciation of all music and the thirst for new and different things to listen to.  25 years of opportunity, but I never made it there.

Last April 28th, I learned that in my own town, at the local Sam Ash a
" Gibson Day " was being held and Les Paul was going to me there for a special guest appreance and signing session.  From work I called my wife and told here to meet me there with my son and his LP. It was amazing to see how many people showed up. Total bedlam.  It was a fantastic night.  After all the years I finally was able to meet the man introduce him to my son, have Les sign his guitar most of all I got to say thank you for recording " Over the Rainbow" and what the song meant and did for me. 

This is a photo of my younger on in front of Les while he signed his LP.
and Les' signature on his control cover

My tribute, I respectfully resubmit my first take.  Why? In my heart of hearts, I know that Les would love the happenings on this board and would be proud to see how in invention of Multi-Track recording has developed in to a world wide phenomenon. 

As far as I am concerned,  I think this recording was meant to be.  I had fallen asleep unusually early on Wednesday the 12th. I did however wake up just after midnight on what would be the Thursday the 13th, for no reason. Restless I did a few runs over the backer and then laid the track down in one recording take,then went back to sleep. I awoke in the morning and mixed and uploaded the song to this board and went off to work. I was at work when I learned of Les Paul's passing and was truly saddened.

This recording is special to me because when I recorded it, Les' last day here, and what his playing gave me.

Sorry for the length of this post.....

Thanks

Tony W

I'm at a loss for words Scott. Thank you for sharing. The written part of your tribute is enough to bring a tear of sadness and joy to my eye.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

A stunning tribute friend.............

Peace

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

That was an entertaining take and a wonderful story to boot!! I don't remember when I realized that LP was a musician as well, but I had only seen/heard footage of him playing a few times. The past few day's I've been Youtubing quite a bit of Chester and Lester.

Thanks for putting this up!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

The Reverend 48

A fitting Tribute Scott Well Done!

tafka

that was a great read.
and a fitting musical tribute too

nice one

T
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

AndyR

Wonderful story and a great soundtrack to listen to while reading it, thanks :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Geir

Thanks for sharing, both the great story and the beautiful music!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Wiley

What a wonderful story and how lucky your son was.  That would have been so wonderful.  And your playing was superb.