Mastering

Started by Javier, April 23, 2008, 10:36:43 AM

I made a song last night.  When I mastered it, at first, I didn't export it, so I had to master it again.  When I did, I got a double sound and the level was so high it distorted.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

SteveG

More info needed! lol. Ok, Did you play back the original tracks and the master track at once? Did you play the mastered track with drums and the MBR drums at once? These seem the most likely off the top of my head.

To answer your first question, I don't know.  I mastered one time, didn't export it, and then mastered it again.  Let me tell you what I did.  Mastered it once, didn't transfer, entered master mode again, and mastered one more time so I could transfer and that's when I got the double sound and distortion.  I just bought the BR last Saturday, so I'm really new at this.  Let me know what I did wrong.
Thanks

SteveG

You have to be playing the master tracks and other tracks too I guess. When you master 4 tracks all on virtual track 1, the MBR records them to 1&2 v2. Did you change tracks to these to listen to the master, then try to do the second master playing these and 3&4 v1 as well? Make sure that you are playing the 4 tracks you started with, or the ones with the bounces you want, and no others?

Thanks for your input.  I sat down last night and noticed that I had placed everything in only one virtual track.  I had to redo the whole thing except for the drums.  Now it sounds much better.  Now the only thing I need is a good mic for vocal (all I have is a SM-58), which is good for live performance but I'm not getting a really good sound from it for recording.  I also noticed, that since I don't have a good pair of headphones, I'll have to master through my comp speakers to get a good mix.  The guitar was too low and vocal and drums too high.  But I'm still learning.

Oldrottenhead

i have some really good mics but tend to use the onboard mic as it gives such good results and there are less wires to contend with.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

jkevinwolfe

Javier,

I think if you listen to some of ORH's (Jim's) songs posted here you'll agree that he gets incredible results from the built in mic. I found that there's little need for an external mic and instead decided to mount the Micro on a mic stand to position the internal mic better.

I found a tiny music stand at Sam Ash that's just slightly bigger than the Micro and mounted it on the mic stand at a 45 degree angle. This allows me to put the Micro at waist level for recording an acoustic guitar and at mouth height for vocals. I can pick up the stand and move the whole setup to a different room or spot where the acoustics are better. It also puts the controls for recording in a good position when using an electric guitar. The sound is great and I don't have to contend with my mic, cords and power supply. The built in mic is also less prone to pick up hum.

Kevin

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI found a tiny music stand at Sam Ash
i might get one of them, i tend to hold the micro in my hand when i sing, this can sometimes be a problem causing clicks etc when i move a finger or forget to clip my fingernails lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

You might want to consider making one of these D.I.Y. mic stand adapters for your Micro BR:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Microphone-Stand-Adapter-for-4-Track-Recorder-eff/

It uses velcro to attach the Micro BR to a piece of wood which is fastened to a six-inch table leg. The table leg is about the same size and shape as a standard microphone, so it can be inserted into a standard mic holder on a mic stand as shown in the photo.

If it were me, I'd add a right-angle strip along the bottom edge of the wooden platform for extra support, and maybe even do away with the velcro. Also, I think I'd want to add something to keep the table leg from rotating in the mic holder so the Micro BR would remain horizontal.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

jkevinwolfe

This is the stand from Sam Ash. It was about $20. I mounted apiece of foam across the bottom lip to absorb vibrations and keep the Micro from getting scratched. Since the Micro has rubber feet I didn't go anything to the metal back.

I use the bracket that came with it as a headphone and guitar cord holder. This makes it easy to store in the closet and pull out ready to use.

Kevin