where he once began ( Facemask93 Original )

Started by Facemask93, July 05, 2009, 03:46:41 PM

guitarron

FM93-This a fantastic-some fu#Kin' great songs being spawned here on this site-i love the subtle background guitar-tremolo guitar-vox harmonies
this song has it all

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Facemask93

Thank guy's , and  wiley of course , i did'nt want the lead to overpower the chorus , so i put it in the background , i'll know better next time

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Ferryman

This is great Facemask, a beautiful, eerie song with lovely chord structure and fantastic bass - I just love that part, simple, but very effective with the style of song here. The vocals and harmonies are superb, but from all your other work we know you have a stunning voice. This is quite reminiscent of some Pink Floyd from the Saucerful of Secrets/Ummagumma era to my mind, but only slightly - it's very much your own work.

A couple of production thoughts if you don't mind. It sounds good on high quality headphones, but on less good kit, the bass gets a bit lost and the reverb/echo on the main guitar in the left channel becomes a bit dominant, especially in the mid range frequencies. Also, I'd be tempted to spread the vocals more widely across the stereo image, they seem a bit over on the right to me. But nothing major, it still sounds haunting and quite beautiful.

There's also a long gap at the end - I was exepecting some kind of "hidden" track to appear! 

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

bin away for a week so nearly missed it, glad i found it tho its beautiful and i think its a great mix.

but try mixing with different set  ups. i use a battered old pair of powered pc speakers and if it sounds good on them it will sound good on any equipment, mixing on headphones can sound great on the headphones but less good on other equipment.

anyway i digress love the vocals did you double track them all the way through?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveB

FMK - I think that this is the first time I've posted in the Micro-BR MP3 section, and sh*t, what a Baptism!! Astonishing is the word that springs to mind. I've listened to the song through speakers and headphones. You're right, there's subtlety in the Cans-Mix. The song reminds me of a track from the Meddle album by Pink Floyd, I thinks it's 'Climbing The Hill', but I may have the title wrong. Whatever. I would suggest that you have a future in music should you wish it, it's a quite excellent start to Your Forum membership.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

The Reverend 48

Great Song..sounded great on my monitors but Awesome on the cans!
I can hear a "Space oddity" vibe in here...

Greeny

Oh my God... I love it. Lost Floyd, indeed. But with traces of late sixties West Coast in the vocal too. Some of those chord changes are incredible, and you have the vocal melody and guitars working in beautiful harmony. This is what good songwriting is all about. To say you've nailed it is an understatement. I take my hat off to you... this is top, top quality work.

p.s. I know your pain on the lead! That's where I was 6 months ago too!!!

Facemask93

Thank's again all you guy's with your positive comments-------ORH yes i double tracked the vox throughout the entire song , was going to add some backing vox but was getting lost with the bounce's ( must in future write down what track's have what on them ) love the fact people can hear Pink floyd in this it's quite flattering , Greeny you are someone that has given me so much incentive with your original's , praise from you is the highest compliment thanks mate , in fact thanks everyone

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Greeny

I hope you've got a taste for writing more after this... !

launched

Quote from: facemask93 on July 06, 2009, 09:24:47 AM...( must in future write down what track's have what on them )..

I know others have created their own track sheets, but I couldn't find any so I made one for myself, which I've posted here

https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br/br-track-sheet-and-ted's-drum-sequence-worksheet/msg35956/#msg35956

for you in case you might want to use it. I note the patch, Volume, Panning and reverb in each square.

Also attached is Ted's drumtrack sheet, which I use for counting measures, even if there are no drums - It's great for marking where a particular overdub should go.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover