What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Started by SteveB, July 03, 2009, 02:53:03 AM

SteveB

Took the opportunity during the Forum hiatus to read this below; the biography of Tony Wilson. A newsreader in the North West of England, who also started Factory Records, home of Joy Division, Happy Mondays etc.
A very polarising character was our Tony, who had a lot to say for himself, including this, when in discussion about ways to commit suicide: "I'd throw myself off the top of my ego".
It's a very easy read which genuinely throws up some surprises, which I won't repeat in case you wish to read the book.
When asked about what epitaph he'd like (When he was very much alive and no sign of illness), he replied: "Made a difference".
Whether you like T.W. or not, he was probably right.

recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

tony

My xmas reading has been 'The Life of Debussy' by Roger Nichols. 

Very boring.  Why do composers always have to have had a life of not fitting in and then struggling pathways to ultimately find their great contribution?  I'm sure the life was interesting enough but this biography isn't.  I think biography must be the thing that people take up when they find writing shopping lists too exciting for them.

Some years ago I read the journals of Arnold Bennett.  Now there was bloke who knew that writing books and plays was a lot better for his health and bank balance than laying bricks and had the decency to enjoy his life when he wasn't at his desk.

Blooby

Plowed through two over the last couple weeks (ahhh, vacation).

First one was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It is a post-apocalyptic jaunt through America where father and son attempt to forage for food whilst avoiding the odd cannibal or three.  It won the Pulitzer Prize.  I thought it was tripe. It struck me as the narcoleptic version of Speed.  I was expecting some sort of moral pay-off, but the ending was just blah. I guess I'm just an idiot.

Second was the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis.  Don't know what possessed me as I was never a fan. I guess I wanted to read about a drug-addled and self-absorbed person because that's what I got.

Since my last two were duds, I've decided to read Siddhartha by Hesse.  Haven't read it in years but am looking forward to it.

Peace.

Blooby

tony

After complaining about the biography of Debussy, I'm happy to report that this is a great book.

Richard Willams, 'The Blue Moment: Miles Davis's 'Kind of Blue' and the remaking of modern music.

Williams (UK readers might recognise him either as a sports writer (Independent) or as a music writer and the really old amongst you might even remember him as the first -pre Bob Harris- presenter of The Old Grey Whistle Test) takes Kind of Blue as a launch pad and goes on to show its influence on all sorts of stuff - minimalist music, The Velvet Underground, James Brown, Brian Eno, Soft Machine, and on - and it makes sense.

Well worth the money (I got it from the library) and the time to read it.

cuthbert

'The Complete Stories of J.G. Ballard', a Xmas present from my brother:

I've been a fan of Ballard's for quite some time, but have never had all the short stories collected into a single volume. Heavy book. And I do mean I gotta carry that weight...  :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

chapperz66

The Greatest Show on Earth - The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins.

Personally I've never doubted but its interesting to have someone clever explain in layman's language.  Bit hard going sometimes though....

pjd1

The Ice Man a book about a Mafia Contract Killer , Richard Kuklinski ,  Beyond me how he can Kill so many people two people in 40 mins in one particular day , Scarry stuff and even scarryier people , a terrifying look into a real persons life and proffesional skills in killing !!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

launched

Wow, that's an intense looking book.

But I don't read, guys. You know that...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

SteveB

As my books are in storage at the moment, and given our current parlous-flux situation, this delivery from Amazon UK today is quite welcome. I'm off for a view.  8)

'...can you help poor Stevie please...' :Dimg262.jpg 
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon