What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Started by SteveB, July 03, 2009, 02:53:03 AM

BossMicroBRew

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Ted

Quote from: Blooby on December 05, 2009, 04:46:21 AMI'm reading an incredibly funny book right now (although the humor may not be for everyone) called Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota by Chuck Klosterman.

Awesome cover photo.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Quote from: BossMicroBRew on December 06, 2009, 04:15:13 PMThe Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe

One of the greats!!!! I may have to read it for a 5th time, lol.

Ferryman

I'm reading "The English Civil Wars: 1640 - 1660" by Blair Worden. An excellent, easy to read and not long book that looks at the political and social issues through the conflicts. What struck me was how he presents the slide into conflict in such a way that it is easy to see that neither side intended this to be a long, drawn out confilict that would unleash religious extremism and create major societal upheaval. In fact, at the start both sides thought there wouldn't be a "real" war and felt one battle would conclude matters. How wrong they were, and how sad that our stupid politicians don't ever read and understand these kind of things. Rushing into war is easy, but the results are rarely what the initiators intended.

Quote from: BossMicroBRew on December 06, 2009, 04:15:13 PMThe Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe

Wasn't aware of this, it looks very interesting and is going straight on to the Xmas list!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid test is an incredible read. The historical impact of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters on music, culture, and anti-culture is immense. For anyone interested in Psychedelic music, all the seeds are sown here. Allen Ginsberg gets in on the act (one of the greatest cultural driving forces of the 20th century), and for 'On the Road' fans, Neal Cassady pops up to span decades and drive Ken's bus across America - all funded by the movie proceeds of Ken's book 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest'. I can't recommend it enough!

Blooby

Quote from: Greeny on December 07, 2009, 02:01:02 AMNeal Cassady pops up to span decades and drive Ken's bus across America.

With respect to the bus you mention, my girlfriend's RV is nicknamed "Further."  Actually, I bet many of them are at the hippie fests I frequent.

Blooby

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman. Weird but literate. I'm well into it!!!

madrab

Just read Ginger Bakers Autobiography — an ok musicians biography, better read than Clapton's, though Clapton probably is a nicer person. Anyone read Jack Bruce's?
Reading Murakamis' Sputnik.... Recomended, music is important in Murakamis writing.
Plus a number of other books. I have always many going at the same time.  A Stephen King biography, Benazir Bhouto (spelling?), atleast one or two RLS or Conrad...

If I had to choose between books and music I wouldn't.