What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Started by SteveB, July 03, 2009, 02:53:03 AM

T.C. Elliott

Mixing Audio - Roey somebody
and
Mastering Audio - Bob Katz

Both came in this week and I've started on the former. I'm hoping I find it useful instead of frustrating.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Blooby

The Risk Pool by Richard Russo, predominantly about a relationship between father and son in a small town north of New York City. His writing was stellar and reminded me of some old haunts in that area. When searching for the image below, I found out they're going to do a movie of it.

Blooby

Migs

Quote from: Blooby on November 01, 2009, 06:46:56 PMI found out they're going to do a movie of it.

More fodder for "where's blooby".
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

SteveB

A sometimes lough-out-loud account of the making of the film 'Some Like It Hot'.
Let's say that on occasions Marylin Monroe could be difficult to work with, though it also has to be said that MM's ego wasn't the only one strutting and fretting upon the Sound Stage. When even 'Mr Placid' himself Jack Lemmon's patience is lost then tensions really have reached a breaking-point. Perhaps the whole episode is best summed up by the film's Director Billy Wilder who said: 'We were in mid-flight before we realised we had a nut on the plane.' It's well worth a read, if only into the insight of just what a cattle-market acting in Hollywood was like in the 1950s.

recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Blooby

I just tore through three Robert B. Parker books while I had the flu and am now reading Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.  It's less whiny and superior than his In a Sunburned Country and (somewhat in..) I'm a Stranger Here Myself.  This one is more just sheer yucks, closer in timbre to his A Walk in the Woods, one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Blooby

Greeny

Quote from: Blooby on November 28, 2009, 08:10:52 PMI just tore through three Robert B. Parker books while I had the flu and am now reading Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.  It's less whiny and superior than his In a Sunburned Country and (somewhat in..) I'm a Stranger Here Myself.  This one is more just sheer yucks, closer in timbre to his A Walk in the Woods...

I've read all his books as an antidote to the heavier stuff I wade through. This is an excellent one. He makes you feel warm about reading. And you can't beat a bit of nostalgia...

tazzy

I'm an unknown newbie here...but wanted to weigh in with my current read...Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". A grim tale of what happens when the world is shut down. tazzy

Flash Harry

Henry Miller. Sexus. I found it in a charity shop.

It was a precursor to the Beat Generation books and influenced writers such as Jack Kerouac and was commented favourable upon by George Orwell.

It has a lot of sex in it. Many of Millers books were banned in his home country.

It's one of those streams of consiousness things. I'm enjoying it. There are another two books in the series. I plan to read them too.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: Flash Harry on November 29, 2009, 08:49:03 AMHenry Miller. Sexus. I found it in a charity shop.

It was a precursor to the Beat Generation books and influenced writers such as Jack Kerouac and was commented favourable upon by George Orwell.

It has a lot of sex in it. Many of Millers books were banned in his home country.

It's one of those streams of consiousness things. I'm enjoying it. There are another two books in the series. I plan to read them too.

Henry Miller is the man - second only to Bukowski for me. Tropic of Cancer changed my life. It made me want to write and think I could be a writer. Not there yet, obviously, lol. All of the Henry Miller books are a great read. Nice one!

Blooby

I'm reading an incredibly funny book right now (although the humor may not be for everyone) called Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota by Chuck Klosterman.  It's basically a fan's-eye view of predominantly 80's metal (of which I was not particularly a fan.  That conflicted with my no lyrics/fusion ethos back then.). I've included a random chuckle below.

Although the lyrics of "Here I go again" by Whitesnake are about forging one's own path and being a loner, the director...seemed to think the song was about a woman trying to fuck a car.  Luckily, this was 1987, and Coverdale happened to be dating Tawny Kitaen.  Ms. Kitaen isn't a particularly good thespian, but she is very, very good at humping the hood of a Jaguar.

Blooby