Stereo to mono

Started by betzq, March 27, 2008, 01:19:02 PM

betzq

So, if i record stereo sound with my microphone can i somehow get those 2 tracks to work indepently. So i that for example i can hear both tracks in the middle (centered)?

For now i have been using audacity to do this but soon im taking this little gem to a trip and i want use only micro BR for editing and stuff.

...im recording vocals on track 1 and guitar on track 2 if youre curious..

SteveG

I am not sure that I am understanding the question, or what you are trying to do. Can you clarify?

Pedro

Yes you can do that. When you record stereo the tracks are tied up together. To untie them you have to press both tracks at the same time once. For example, to untie track 1 and track 2 you have to go to the panning screen and press track 1 and track 2 at the same time. Then you could go and do whatever you want with the tracks, like centering both.

PS: Welcome!  ;)

SteveG

I am missing something. Why would we want to separate two halves of a stereo track? Is it for some sort of effect or recording technique? Only been doing this stuff for best part of a year, so still lots to learn   ;D

Pedro

I don't know... Maybe he used a stereo microphone to record a guitar  on the extreme left and vocals on the extreme right and now he wants to mess around with the positions. In this scenario centering both would probably sound different and maybe better. There are great monoaural records around, maybe he is into mono records.  :D

I don't know much about mixing either. Mixing is a subject for many books!

SteveG

Hmmm, guess so. Still waiting for my sony mike to arrive, will have a play when it does...

betzq

Thanks very much, i never thought it would be that easy!

I do it because now i can record mono guitar and mono vocals at the same time... like if i have singer in the other room and guitar player in the other room... it goes faster that way than playing same song twice you know :D