Post your recent concert reviews here

Started by Blooby, June 07, 2009, 07:09:47 PM

bruno

Maxim Vengerov at the barbican last night. What a player.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Greeny

I'm a bit late with this one, but I saw the Cult in Brixton in Feb and they were phenomenal.

Billy Duffy is simply one of the best guitarists going: total mastery.

Took this on my iPhone. Billy's in his typical low-slung rock stance.

bruno

For those of you interested - the piece I saw Maxim play was a harder version of this. When Sibelius wrote the piece in 1903, the first performance went horribly wrong, so Sibelius re-wrote it to be simpler to play. The version I saw was the 'hard' version. The version below isnt the concert we went to, but as reference. Gob-smackingly good, and probably the finest violinist alive today. Clearly getting to the end of his career, but bloody fantastic.

We were front row, in the middle. So about 5 feet away from Maxim. Brilliant - you could watch his technique right up close. When my brother was at the Royal Academy, the Russian's came to town with a 16 year old Maxim. They all laughed at their frilly russian cloths, they laughed until Maxim started playing. My mum still talks about it some 20 years later  ;D ;D ;D Quite something to see.

Anyway, enjoy ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsbrRAgv1b4

Some one posted this photo on the orchestra's FB of the concert - we are sat right at the front row slightly to the left of the gap left for the soloist (we are sat between the people standing)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Farrell Jackson

I don't know if your are a fan or have heard of the Indie Band Grandaddy, but they are kicking off a European tour (supposedly their final) this Thursday in Dublin, Ireland. This is in support of an upcoming new album. I'm not sure where they go from there. They are playing tonight in a small theater in Modesto Ca. that sold out in 2 minutes. My son, Neil, knows the band quite well. He has jammed with Jason Lytle and Neil's band, Built Like Alaska, has performed live with Grandaddy at several shows. Just an FYI for any Grandaddy fans.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Mike_S

Was at Band of Friends in Dundalk Ireland on Friday. This is Rory's original Bass player - played on all the studio albums - and the drummer was with him for a long time too. So it really is Rory's band keeping the flame alive.

The guitar player/singer was great. I think the guitar really had the spirit of the great man. The vocals were good but didn't have the magic of Rory's voice for me - that is really a minor gripe though as he was excellent.

A great show, no stuck up rock egos, they really involve the crowd. So recommended if they are near anyone's area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6DXQfDkwsw
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I blew off the first night of a three night Phish run but saw the second two. Good shows with a fair amount of jamming, but I have taken many showers since.

Blooby

AndyR

Loudon Wainwright III last friday at the London Palladium.

Oh wow. Haven't seen him since 1980, but he's still the same guy. Mrs R was worried she might not like the humour (based on one of my favourites, Clockwork Chartreuse, from way back then), but she needn't have. I even suspect she loved the show more than I did!

He was 70 the other week - go to see him while he's still warm :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Boognish

Black Sabbath in Tulsa, Oklahoma Tuesday night.

A great show and Ozzy was awesome. Tony Iommi was on point and it was great to see those guys still doing their thing.
Okay to cover.

kenny mac

Ian Hunter at the garage Glasgow.
This guy is 76 and shows no signs of letting up.
His show consisted of at least 4 new songs from his latest album fingers crossed and the album is an absolute belter.
The rant band he plays with are all amazing and live they just tore the place up.
The energy this guy has got is full on and he is doing this on tour almost every night with one day off a week.
If I'm ever lucky enough to get to that age I want to be like this dude.
As he sings in the golden age of rock,n,roll you got to stay young you can never grow old  :D
And he is living proof.

IanR

Hi Folks,

I saw Lloyd Cole do a solo retrospective concert at Hamer Hall in Melbourne on Saturday night. Just Lloyd on acoustic guitars. Hamer Hall is one of our best concert halls. The sound was fabulous. Lloyd is not a great racanteur but he is a great songwriter. He played about 40 songs - no filler. He played a Leonard Cohen cover and a Bowie cover. His son played guitar with him in the second half, which was very sweet.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One