Post your recent concert reviews here

Started by Blooby, June 07, 2009, 07:09:47 PM

Blooby

Been a crazy few weeks with little time to do much of anything.  Last few days with the kiddos at work (assistant principal at a middle school), compounded by mega-stress of a few job-related goings-on.

By 4:00 Friday, I was headed to the annual Wanee Festival (with drink somewhat firmly in hand) in Live Oak, Florida, about an hour and a half north of where I live.  It is named after the famed Suwanee River, which flows along the northern edge of an extremely large and ultra-gorgeous campground.

The Wanee Fest, unlike others, doesn't try to be eclectic.  It is basically two nights of the Allman Brothers and members of its family tree.  This year, the Brothers played twice, along with Gov't Mule, an Arc Angels Reunion, Buddy Guy, Little Feat, The Radiators, The Doobie Brothers, The Drive-By Truckers, Umphrey's McGee, Jorma Kaukonen, The Wailers, Susan Tedeschi, the Derek Trucks Band, along with some others.

Too many memories to list all, but here are some highlights:
Allmans played "Dreams" on both nights
Ubiquitous breast painting
Campfire jams
V.M. Bhatt sat in for the entire Derek Trucks show.  The opening alap was fantastic.
Crazy rainstorms throughout weekend
Seeing The Arc Angels again after so many years
Tabletop curling game in the beer tent
Scott Murawski's guitar playing (Where did this guy come from?)
Ubiquitous breast painting
Second stage in the woods (see first image)
Warren Haynes sitting in with multiple bands
Some naked guy wallowing in the mud (The cops almost had to tase him).
Lots of crappy beer.
Allmans played the somewhat rare "Come and Go Blues"
Gov't Mule flirting with "The Other One" and "Hunger Strike" ---> "Dear. Mr. Fantasy"
Did I fail to mention the ubiquitous breast painting?

Peace.

Blooby

OsCKilO

Bon Jovi......

Milton Keens (UK)...........

Had Hay Fever...........

Bad day!

Music was cool Though.....!

Nickleback were supporting as well.....

Worth the nose bleed..

E.M.O will pay!!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

Then again.....

The E.M.O got sun stroke that day.......!

That will teach her!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

JasonBR864

May 21st portsmouth va.

ZZ-TOP! Kick Ass!!!!!!!!!!!!! Billy can still bring it! I was disappointed that they didnt play Sleeping Bag  but they danced they sang they rocked!
Jason

Greeny

Oh dear. This makes me realize that I haven't been any gigs this year (yet...) :(

Recent(ish) ones would be...

Jackson Browne (London Palladium) - a bit dull, but the most awesome collection of guitars ever assembled on a stage!

Big Bill Morganfield (Muddy Water's Son)... incredible acoustic blues

Bryan Ferry (Hampton Court, London) - predictably excellent! Despite the rain!

The Eagles (Twickenham Rugby Stadium) - just awesome  :o

Alan Price (from The Animals) - small, intimate gig. He's a real treasure. It was excellent. 

Antony and the Johnsons (Shepherds Bush Empire) - spellbinding... I've never seen an audience so hushed and listening intently

Chas and Dave (Aldershot) - Oh yeah!!!!!  :D

The Nashville Teens - I was playing the same festival. I was on the acoustic stage and they were on the main stage. I'll never be on the main stage, lol.

There's so many I WISH I'd gone to see! I'm still waiting patiently for David Sylvian to tour. And have given up ever seeing Kate Bush live again, lol.

Greeny

Quote from: JasonBR864 on June 08, 2009, 08:11:29 AMMay 21st portsmouth va.

ZZ-TOP! Kick Ass!!!!!!!!!!!!! Billy can still bring it! I was disappointed that they didnt play Sleeping Bag  but they danced they sang they rocked!
Jason

I'd love to see ZZ-Top!!!!!

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Greeny on June 08, 2009, 08:49:32 AMOh dear. This makes me realize that I haven't been any gigs this year (yet...) :(

Sadly, me either.  In fact, the only live show I've seen at all this year was Jerry Seinfeld.  That was awesome, but not very musical.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Sprocket

Ive got a bunch of friends who went to Wanee this weekend...but not really my thing.
Although I have gone to several really good shows over the last year, just last month saw Janes Addiction with Nine Inch Nails...Janes was great, played everything youd wanna hear...NIN, started off strong and then got boring towards the end, totally lost the energy of the crowd and the new material was lacking.
Saw Iron Maiden on the last date of their "09 Somewhere Back In Time Tour" in Ft Lauderdale...awesome show, they played all the old standards from all of the really old albums, and 3 somewhat new tracks, amazing stage show, 5 different "Eddie" monsters and different backdrops from all the old tours...really awesome show!

LAst year I saw the Police reunion tour, Black Sabbath with Ronnie Jame Dio(Heaven And Hell) with Queensryche and Alice Cooper. And I also got to see the VanHalen reunion tour. Oh yeah, and Joe Banamassa too!

Bro

Eric clapton last summer.

AMAZING! Best concert in my whole life! I love his music!

And I'm going to see b.b. king next month! I hope it's as good!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Satchwood

I've been to one major pro-show this year so far:

Joe Satriani and Leslie West & Corky Lang !!

Fantastic show - bought front row tickets from a scalper!!

Caught a corky lang drum stick and a Stu Hamm bass pick!

Of course I've seen a bunch of local bands:

One I really liked was: the Keltic Cowboys!! 

Check out there website for lyrical inspiration: www.kelticcowboys.com
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)