Post your recent concert reviews here

Started by Blooby, June 07, 2009, 07:09:47 PM

Blooby

Flying Colors sounds great. I have to listen to their new disc one of these days.  Bought it and left it next to the computer.

Saw the Saturday portion of Magnolia Fest at the unbelievably beautiful Spirit of Suwannee Music Part by the Florida/Georgia border. They have a backwoods stage where I parked myself all day among the hammock people (a bacwards people who nourish themselves with craft beers).

Saw the infamous Colonel Bruce Hampton, The Indigo Girls, Bela Fleck and his wife, and Lyle Lovett.   I got a might tipsy and lost in travel Scrabble. A relaxing day.

Blooby

Farrell Jackson

I just purchased tickets to go see America in concert at the Gallo Theater in Modesto next Wednesday. It's a great venue for concerts, not a bad seat in the house. Well maybe a dozen bad seats if you're directly behind the sound man.  It's only a 30 minute drive from our place and the concert starts at 7:30 pm. So we'll be home by 10 pm!

The last time I saw America was about 15 years ago. That was a good show and I expect this to be a good one also. It'll be interesting to see if it's the same backup band with the two main members, Beckley and Bunnel...minus Dan Peek who quit years ago and passed away in 2011.

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

SharksDontSleep

Hmm ... Haven't been to any concerts in the last few months, but did go to see the Australian Courtney Barnett back in May at Norwich Waterfront Studio (capacity is an intimate 250).
She & her band played a great set & were ably supported by the Scottish Honeyblood
Here's a link to some of the happy snappies I took  :)

Courtney Barnett

Biggest regret this year is missing Royal Blood at the same venue :(

Oldrottenhead

when i went to norway i sat next to the father of the singer of honeyblood on the plane over, he is sandy tweedale the lead guitarist of blues in trouble. they where going to a blues festival in norway whilst i was en route to geir's hut. when i explained where i was going they wanted to come me with me. he is very proud of his daughter and what ive seen of them he is rightly proud.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SharksDontSleep

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 30, 2014, 02:04:23 PMwhen i went to norway i sat next to the father of the singer of honeyblood on the plane over
when i explained where i was going they wanted to come me with me.

Cool story. Shame they didn't join you. You'd've all made some beautiful music, deffo 8)

cuthbert

Going to see Robyn Hitchcock in Somerville on Nov 12...should be a good show!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

chapperz66

Mrs Chapperz got tickets to see The Full English at the Castle Theatre, Wellingborough last night.  Billed as an English folk "supergroup"  - is that an oxymoron or just a contraception in terms?  Probably, although people like Martin Simpson and Seth Lakeman can get away with it.  More of a project than a group, it is a heritage lottery funded project to digitise, preserve and promote traditional English music.  I was a little bit concerned that the concert might be a little too "traditional" for my liking, since folkies can be a bit purist sometimes, but I need not have worried.  The opening number was a 7 part harmony acapella song!  I found the set thorougly entertaining and not even slightly stuffy.  Sure, the songs were all 18th/19th century traditional pieces but arranged in a sufficiently modern way that it kept my interest.

A great gig, performed by some consumate musicians.  And very acceptable micro brewery real ale in the bar as well.  And the wife tells me that Seth Lakeman is a very good looking young man.  Apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDgrTOzmSwc

Blooby

Been with my girlfriend for 10 years as of Wednesday.  I surprised her by taking her to a Cris Jacobs show. He rarely leaves the Baltimore area, so it was quite serendipitous that he played a gig within 80 miles around the special day. Got to chat with him for a bit. Super nice guy. I was disappointed he didn't have his full band, but then he just blew me away with his solo performance. Monster singer and player.

Blooby

cuthbert

Robyn Hitchcock, 12 Nov 2014 at the Somerville Armory for the Arts (Somerville, Massachusetts USA)

Turned out to be a bit of a hike from the T station at Davis Square, so we were good and warm when we arrived. The building apparently also houses a sound studio, but the auditorium looked more like a basketball court without the hoops, with folding chairs on the floor. It was an all-ages show, and there were children as well as senior citizens present - a much more diverse crowd age-wise then I'd seen at a Robyn Hitchcock show before. We were lucky to get seats in the second row, far right.

Robyn played a mix of newer songs from his latest The Man Upstairs, as well as a lot of the old classics. He also did more alternate tunings than I remember in previous shows, and was having a dickens of a time with getting his strings to tune before songs - but he kept these intervals light, saying the tuning up was channeling spirits. :) I may have picked up a couple of new tuning tricks...

Later in the evening, Tanya Donelly of Throwing Muses & Belly (and also a 'local' from Rhode Island) joined him onstage to perform one of his songs, one of hers, and a few covers later.

Robyn's got an open-recording policy, so I took the opportunity to snatch some phone video on a few songs. Apologies in advance for the shaky cam and portrait framing (there was just one empty seat directly in front of me, so it was a keyhole-type of shot):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8nlXmCgyRI
Fragments of My Wife and My Dead Wife, The Wreck of the Arthur Lee, and Sweet Ghost of Light with Tanya Donelly.

For an encore, Robyn came out and played songs from his record collection. Someone else in the front row of the audience got a much better shot than I could - I think using a digital camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfuzZTFB4J8
Happiness Is A Warm Gun with Tanya Donelly

And they ended the show walking through the audience ("Like folksingers..." according to Robyn), playing and singing Are You Experienced? - roaming, unmiked, and absolutely great.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase