Post your recent concert reviews here

Started by Blooby, June 07, 2009, 07:09:47 PM

Greeny

Quote from: AndyR on September 10, 2014, 05:43:48 AMNice one Tim :) we're going on the 27th.

Is the audience still respecting the no cameras/phones? I was DREADING sitting behind rows of bright screens (and my missus was dreading me breaking ipads over heads!!) - so I was really relieved when KB made the request and it got honoured at the first few gigs.

Anyway, I think you can GUARANTEE a dvd, guys... but I strongly suspect she won't tour, though... :(

Everyone absolutely stuck to the no camera rule. I guess that's because most people there love her and respect her enough to comply. I didn't see one person even try it. They were all captivated though!

Enjoy! (you will... !!!!!).

Tangled Wires

Quote from: Greeny on September 10, 2014, 06:51:34 AMEveryone absolutely stuck to the no camera rule. I guess that's because most people there love her and respect her enough to comply. I didn't see one person even try it. They were all captivated though!

Enjoy! (you will... !!!!!).

Good on them, and good on her for requesting that.

Must be nice to be at a concert where people are enjoying "being in the moment" rather than "documenting" it. One of my pet hates!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

I never did like you Tim. Even less now. Bassa.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

I'm so jealous too Tim !!

Would sooooooo much have loved to be there !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Geir

I did however have a great concert experience earlier this summer: "Kansas" !!!

WOW, I believe it's one of the best concerts I've been too. And I was not alone in thinking so, at least if the audience response is an indication.

They understood what we came for and played the good old stuff. OK so Steve Walsh don't have the voice he used to (it's been a long time since he had), but they all delivered an amazing performance.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

bruno

Frank Turner in the ancient city of Salisbury last night, with Mazz and Ashley. Frank is a Wessex boy, so kinda home turf. Great concert, fantastic sound, from a sound engineer that understands less is more, and you don't need to turn everything to 10. Tight band, Frank was spot on in tune, playing a 2 hour set, with back to back songs.

Frank Turner appeals across the age spectrum, so big mix of ages, and someone that really connects with the audience. He's more a poet that anything, so that connection is palpable - you can tell that the audience love his music, singing all the way through. Really enjoyed last night, it was a very, very cool gig.

NB I found the post on the internet, we were around 10 rows back (standing) front left of the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZ6zfvMoG4

recorder
Boss BR-1600

AndyR

"Andrew goes to gig" shock!

OK, we've got Kate on Saturday... but last night I went to my first gig in YEARS...

Who's heard of Joanne Shaw Taylor? Blues fans, check her out (plenty stuff on youtube). I bought her first album White Sugar several years ago and have kept a vague eye out ever since (missed three albums and a dvd, though! :D)

The other week, can't remember how I found out, I absent-mindedly entered a competition to attend a "Secret Gig In London" and forgot all about it. Last week I got an email from Planet Rock Radio saying I was on the guest list for me +1.

Even better, it was at O2 in Islington - five minutes walk from here (work).

We went. It was grand. Her new album, The Dirty Truth, was released yesterday - this was the "album party" gig laid on by Planet Rock.

She is quite some guitarist. A bit of a widdly-woo merchant on the solos, but which blues-rock guitarist isn't?

She plays as a four-piece - her and guitar, a keyboard player doing some organ-ey stuff I couldn't hear most of the time, drums, and bass.

She's more aggressive live than her albums sound, but wow, she's pretty darned good in both arenas. Excellent bluesie voice, and old-skool telecaster and les paul sounds through loud fender amps. She's pretty funky in her rhythm playing as well. Think of a cute blond from Birmingham playing a bit like Stevie Ray Vaughan...

And she's only gonna get better :)

The new album is excellent, the missing three are already on order...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Burtog

I went to see The Besnard Lakes at the Brudenell Social club in Leeds on Thursday, a great gig even thought the turn out was average, will definately go and see them again if they tour locally.

Check them out people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y6nmLt50sg
recorder
Boss BR-800

kenny mac

I went to see Ian hunter and the Rant band on Wednesday at the garage in Glasgow .
I love the layout of that place ,two bars,and toilets right next to the right of the stage so no going down corridors and missing any numbers during the set.
The sound was absolutely fantastic and Ian (73 years old I believe) was like a young man up there.
He looked genuinely overwhelmed at the crowds reaction as they carried the chorus of all the young dudes over the rafters.
A master class from an old dude that's walked the rock,roll road.
He seems to get better every year.
Fantastic drumming from Steve Holley (x wings drummer)and a 1st class band.
Age is only a number .