Post your recent concert reviews here

Started by Blooby, June 07, 2009, 07:09:47 PM

SteveB

^^^^ Have most of the Eagles recordings but have never seem them live. No matter their detractors, still think they're an influential band. Thanks for posting the review.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Gnasty

I saw Zakk Wylde last night and can`t say i was disappointed, but i also wasn`t impressed. He played BLS, Pride and Glory, and songs off his solo CD, but it was all acoustic with him and another guy. He also played piano too. He did pay homage to Canada by playing our national anthem and Heart of Gold by Neil Young.

The thing that bothered me was him shredding his electro-acoustic and he had his vintage Marshall tone with
him using his roto-vibe and wah but no amps, so i am assuming he was using Line 6 or something else for the amp sims. But when he cut into a solo he would shred for like 15 min! LOL Even me being a guitarist for almost 30 years was getting irritated a little by it. I kinda felt sorry for the rhythm guy because he was playing the same chords over and over but he did do a solid job. And when the crowd went nuts after he was done his solo i was thinking are we clapping cause we loved it or glad its over? :)

Anyway i still love him and the tunes were good, a bit too over the top on the solos but i`m guessing he does that to replace the fact that if he drinks alcohol again he would die. So I must have sympathy.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

cuthbert

I went to see Asif Ali Khan & Party at the Tsai Performance Center at Boston University down in Boston last night.

Got lost once I found my way into the city, but finally located the Indian restaurant where we dined on some very good chicken tikka (barbecue as well as massala) prior to the show.

And it was a very interesting show - never heard any Sufi music or qawwali singers before, but I knew I'd enjoy it when I read the musical accompaniment would be harmonium and tabla. The dynamics of this concert were incredible - from almost whisper-quiet to eardrum-splitting loud in a matter of seconds, and the singer's hand gestures and vocal operatics throughout reminded me at times of Jack Black of Tenacious D.  :D

Here's a clip of a song they did in Brussels, similar to what I saw in Boston last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9-wuEswMTU

Dig them dueling harmoniums...  8)  
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

thetworegs

I went with the wife to go and see Lissie in Sheffield the other weekend and it was a great show ...Man could that woman sing ...would go again it was a great night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKuHxGtIFA

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Flash Harry

Goldfrapp at the Barbican in York tomorrow night. I am so excited I have had to drink copious amounts of beer to provide enough mass to keep me on the ground.

I am really really looking forward to the gig. In Geir's hut last September, Mr James 'ORH' Higgins had obtained the 'Tales of Us' CD. It was another 'music-blows-me-away' moment. And tomorrow night, Will and Alison will be doing it just for me (and a thousand others). How awesome is that?

>>>> Watch this space for the review <<<<
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Quote from: Flash Harry on April 04, 2014, 05:03:19 PMGoldfrapp at the Barbican in York tomorrow night. I am so excited I have had to drink copious amounts of beer to provide enough mass to keep me on the ground.

I am really really looking forward to the gig. In Geir's hut last September, Mr James 'ORH' Higgins had obtained the 'Tales of Us' CD. It was another 'music-blows-me-away' moment. And tomorrow night, Will and Alison will be doing it just for me (and a thousand others). How awesome is that?

>>>> Watch this space for the review <<<<

I'm wicked jealous. Alison is way prettier than Asif Ali Khan & Party...

But seriously - hope I'm able to see Goldfrapp someday. The live clips I've seen so far makes it look like they do some great shows. Looking forward to reading your review!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Flash Harry

Wow! They were fantastic. They played the new album, Tales Of Us, pretty much as it appears on the CD, the sound was superb, the lighting was as stripped down as the music, single pin spots illuminating the musicians only from above. Very ethereal, it worked very well.
Then they started to play some of the back catalog, the lighting warmed up, the place started to rock, old favourites, Utopia, Strict Machine, Lovely Head, Number 1, all delivered perfectly.

It was a great spectacle, they are a great band and the music is fantastic. If you get a chance, you should go and see them.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

chapperz66

Mrs Chapperz is a bit of a folkie (and secretly so am I - but don't tell anybody....) so last night we went to see Kate Rusby at the musical heaven that is Kettering, Northamptonshire.  It's only about 6 miles from where I live so there really wasn't any excuse not to.

The lady can sing and the band was exceptional.

Next weekend its Bellowhead at the Albert Hall.

Before I get dismissed from the league of prog metallers my previous concert attendance was Dream Theater at Wembley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5FkAmTaJY

Flash Harry

Elbow were fabulous at Leeds last night. It was like a pub gig, Guy chatting to individuals in the audience, introducing his sister and her husband, so unlike rock stars, great music. I loved it and I bet the 13999 people did too.
- Kurt Vonnegut.