Post your recent concert reviews here

Started by Blooby, June 07, 2009, 07:09:47 PM

Greeny

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on June 10, 2009, 03:50:51 PM
Quote from: Greeny on June 09, 2009, 04:12:11 AM[I'd have been at that (it's very local to me!), but can't make it this year. Joe Bonamassa and Brian Wilson on the same bill - that's a real treat! I liked the Charlatans in their day too. I also recommend 'Weyfest' in September which is near Farnham, for a low-key music day out in the country. Sadly it's grown to big for me to play there now. I believe Jethro Tull are topping the bill this year.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!

Thanks! I hope the weather's good. One of my son's schoolfriend's mother runs the Brian Wilson fan club (she follows him round the country!) so we might even get to meet him.

Will check out Weyfest. That's not far from us. I would have it the other way round - I think you are now too big for them!!

Cheers,

Nigel

Meet Brian Wilson? He's like a god to me. Flipping hell. I can't even comprehend that! Hope it happens! And make sure you have a camera!!!!! Wow.

dwardzala

Just saw Alejandro Escovado in Ann Arbor last night.  Excellent show, but all acoustic.  He had a fiddle player and another guitarist who alternated playing a classical nylon string and steel string guitar.

The fiddle player was simply incredible.  Her fiddle had some sort of pick up system in it and was running through an effects board.  There was very tastefully applied distortion and reverb on some of the tunes and it wouldn't surprise me if she used a bit of chorus as well.

They played several of his more popular songs and a couple of new ones from an upcoming album.  I do not (yet) own any of his songs/CDs but I was suitably impressed that I will probably make a purchase in the near future.

The only (slight) disappointment was that it was only as acoustic show.  My buddy and I were really hoping he was going to break out the SG but, all in all it was a great show and anybody who likes bluesy/folksy/country acoustic music would enjoy this performance.
Dave

BR-600

SdC

Ry Cooder, last night, in Carre theatre, Amsterdam, with my father from whom I inherited some of my tastes in music. Crap seats, last row up on balcony just under the ceiling. Crap opening act but once the show started (with Nick Lowe on vox, bass and acoustic, Joachim Cooder drums), looking over a sea of grey hair (LOL), it was way cool. Flaco Jimenez was on the bill as well, but dropped out for health reasons. But the "power trio" formation worked really well. He's let his old classics such as How an A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live evolve over time and even updated the lyrics to reflect the current crisis. Unfortunately Nick Lowe had to do his single Hit song as well, but ok, that made it even better to hear a Cooder song again after that. The two girls from the support act came on as background singers for Ry which gave it a nice fresh touch.
What a magical guitar player he is! Such a distinctive sound. Not because of a "signature" guitar/rig but because of his touch, attack and intonation. Class act!

recorder
Boss BR-600

Greeny

Sounds like a great gig, but you clearly aren't a Nick Lowe fan! He's had quite a few hit songs - maybe more in the UK though. He's quite a hero and influence on me, but he's getting on in years and doesn't seem to have the same 'oomph' that he did in his heyday.

SdC

Quote from: Greeny on June 19, 2009, 08:06:34 AMSounds like a great gig, but you clearly aren't a Nick Lowe fan! He's had quite a few hit songs - maybe more in the UK though. He's quite a hero and influence on me, but he's getting on in years and doesn't seem to have the same 'oomph' that he did in his heyday.
His own music is just a bit less to my taste, but I'll certainly acknowledge him as a great musician, across a wide varietly of styles. Still is. And a generally nice bloke.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Blooby

A good weekend to be sure.  Saw Steely Dan on Thursday and a double-bill of the Doobie Brothers and Bad Company (with Paul Rodgers) last night.  My main reaction held true for all three shows: Why do people go see live music if all they want to do is %ucking talk!?

The Steely Dan show was indicative of my attitude toward them.  About half the show was stellar, and the other half put me in a narcoleptic stupor.  Guitarist Jon Herrington was really great in spots. Keith Carlock was unbelievable on the skins.  His breaks in "Aja" rank as one of my favorite live experiences ever.  I didn't realize Jim Beard was on second keys, and although he wasn't afforded the opportunity to shine, it was nice to see somebody who has played with so many greats/heroes (John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny, Meshell Ndegeocello, Wayne Shorter, Dizzy Gillespie).  

The Doobie Brothers were the Doobie Brothers.  Guinness was flowing, and everybody was singing along.  I have to explain the venue for a sec.  It was in Chastain Amphitheater in Atlanta, GA.  As you sit in rows, you literally have 3-4 feet in front of you, so people haul in tables, candles, wine, beer, catered meals...whatever.  It's crazy.  My brother and his wife set us up with Guinness, vino, spinach pasta with chicken, and a decadent brownie the size of any number of small, low-flying aircraft.  He's a good brother.  So in a nutshell, no deep insights into the nature of music, just forgetting about the troubles du jour.  I am happy to report there was a complete lack of Michael MacDonald as well (I don't hate him.  I just prefer the "biker band" side of the Doobies).

And now on to Bad Company with the inimitable Paul Rodgers as well as Mick Ralphs and Simon Kirke (Boz Burrell died a few years back).  No superlatives can do justice to how well Paul Rodgers is singing these days.  I loved Free and Bad Company and followed him through The Law, The Firm, Queen as well as his solo career, but I have to say that after all these years, he may have only gotten better.  Those of you who have seen him in recent years can attest to this I'm sure (His stage schtick can get a little schmaltsy, but it's part of the show.).  Onward...  The hits came, but they did manage to play a few more obscure cuts.  They did "Electricland" off Rough Diamonds as well as "Gone, Gone, Gone" off of Desolation Angels.  Mick seemed more confident than I've seen him a recent years.

Fun.

As always...peace.

Blooby

Pine

What a great thread. You guys can't know how fun it is to read about shows like this when you live in the middle of nowhere, don't have a $100 for a pair of tickets (or more) and don't get out of the woods and down of this hill more than once a week...and then it's like to the hardware store. It always bugs me when shows are all hyped up when tics are on sale and then afterwards there are no reviews in the papers. What's that??? I hope this thread keeps going. I may even add to it. Robert Cray and John Hammond are playing an outdoor show in July in Buffalo NY (100 miles) and it's only $10...hoping to go to that. I've seen John several times over the years and he is like Paul Rodgers...seemingly at the peak of his craft. If you like blues, John's DVD "Live in Paris" is really good. Just John, his guitar and harp, and that big ole foot a stompin'...
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Blooby

Saw John Hammond Jr. years ago from the front row of a an on-campus beer joint called the Orange and Brew on the University of Florida campus.  I think there were less than 20 people in the audience...a shame.

I recall a super slow dirge-like song where he tapped the top of the guitar every so often.  Spooky as hell, and I have never been able to find it since.  The other thing I remember is how fast that man can change a guitar string.  I know it sounds silly, but man, he was like lightning.

Will definitely look into Live in Paris.  Thanks for the heads up.

Blooby

Sprocket

Awesome review Blooby...and Im not even into those bands, great reviews!

Blooby

More shows to be had. 

Saw Gov't Mule on vacation in Memphis.  In addition to an okay original set, they covered Humble Pie's "Thirty days in the hole," Robert Johnson's "32-20 Blues," "Minglewood blues (most associated with the Grateful Dead though not written by them)," "Smokestack lightning" and "How many more years" by Howlin' Wolf (though the latter was aped by Zeppelin for "How many more times"), and "John the Revelator (I think by Son House...not sure, though).

Warren Haynes' tone was creamy as always, and their new bassist it more aggressive than Andy Hess, their last one (Hess went on to play on the new Will Bernard acid/soul jazz disc with Stanton Moore and Robert Walter).

I also went to see Zappa Plays Zappa, the third time I've seen them and absolutely one of the tightest bands I've ever seen.  And my oh my, has Dweezil been spending time in the woodshed.  The following video is from their first tour, which also featured Napolean Murphy Brock, Steve Vai, and Terry Bozzio.  "Black Page # 2" starts about 3 minutes into the video with both Vai and Bozzio.  I have included a picture of Bozzio's comically large drum set from that tour for your viewing and/or mocking pleasure.

Back to the concert.  Zappa Plays Zappa were on a Progressive Nation bill with Dream Theater.  As loud as it was, I nodded off twice during DT's set.  Mike Portnoy was fun to watch as he is an overplaying monster with way too many arrows in his quiver.  Unfortunately, the solos of Petrucci and Rudess degenerated into many, many notes that all collided in the live setting.  After the show, the silence was deafening.

Also on the bill was a band called Scale the Summit.  Musically, they existed somewhere between the math-rock jams of Umphrey's McGee and King Crimson (without the danger).  The audience seemed to like them, but they had zero dynamics.  I was happy when they left the stage.

Perhaps the most dichotomous high point/low point was a band called Big Elf.  Yes, you heard me correctly.  After the first band, the roadies crowded the stage with Ampeg 8X10" bass cabinets, Orange amp stacks, two (yes, two) Mellotrons, a Hammond, and a Moog.  Then they sound-checked a Gibson SG.  My co-conspirator turned to me and said, "What?  Are they going to be some cross between Black Sabbath and Spinal Tap?" 

Never have words been uttered so accurately. 

The guitarist and bassist both had large 70's ubiquitous wooden crosses dangling away from their necks.  I wanted to request "Stonehenge" after the first tune, but I'm afraid the crowd (full of musicians all-too-familiar with Spinal Tap) would all laugh.  To be fair, I can't comment on them musically because the sound was so poor for them.  There was a low droning feedback that was just killing me, and no amount of Guinness, rum, or buttery nipples would sooth my troubled eardrums (I even had plugs...sheesh).

And now...freshly discovered from the net, I give you Big Elf!

Note the Yoda figure stoically presiding over all things keyboard.

Blooby