Sick to death of updates messing up gear.

Started by kenny mac, September 26, 2017, 01:58:47 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: Pete C on September 27, 2017, 12:18:39 PMEver since Windows 10 came out I haven't been able to export wav files to my PC from my BR600. I now have to get out an old laptop, reset the time and date because it goes back to its default date when its off,export the wav to that, copy it to a USB stick, copy that to my PC then open it in Audacity, fo the trimming and normalising, then save as MP3 before I can upload it to Songcrafters.  Been toying with the idea of buying a new recorder but scared of the same thing happening.

Pete

Why not use the BR Wave Converter software? According to Boss, it's compatible with Windows 10.

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/br-600/updates_drivers/c30fd33d-3064-484d-b896-1bdc4f9e6e70/

It's easy to use, but you have to get the order right on steps 1 and 2.

1) Connect your BR-600 to the computer with a standard USB cable.

2) Open the BR Wave Converter program. It's important that you connect your BR-600 to the computer before you open the BR Wave Converter program. Otherwise, it won't see your BR-600. That's because it only looks for attached BRs on startup. If the program was already open when you connected the USB cable, then it won't appear in the "Drive" selector, so you'll have to close the program and re-open it to force it to have another look for attached BRs.

3) If you did steps 1 and 2 in the right order, the BR Wave Converter program will probably already have selected your BR-600 in the "Drive" selector under "Song Select". If not, click on it and select the drive letter that Windows assigned to your BR-600.

4) Click the "Song" drop-down selector and select the song you wish to export.

5) The "Export" button should already be selected by default. If it's not, select it.

6) Select the tracks/v-tracks that you wish to export by clicking on the green squares. They'll turn orange when they're selected. You can select as many as you want. BR Wave Converter will create a separate file for each track. For stereo tracks (such as your final master mix), be sure to select the "L/R" "Stereo Link" button below the track pair. This ensures that you'll get a single stereo wav file instead of two separate files that each contain one track.

7) Click the "GO" button. A standard "Save As" dialog will appear. Select the folder in which you wish to save your WAV file(s), then type in a suitable name for the file(s). If you're exporting multiple tracks, the software will automatically append the track and v-track number to each file. So if you typed the filename "Refugee", for example, you'd get WAV files with names like "Refugee_03_01.wav" (track 3, v-track 1) for mono tracks, or "Refugee_0506_01.wav" (tracks 5 and 6, v-track 1) for linked stereo pairs.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pete C

Thanks 64 ! Was in Tenerife for a week when you posted your reply to my problem so only just read it.

I'll try what you suggested and let you know what happens !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

One more tip I forgot to mention. Instead of connecting your BR-600 to the computer via USB, you can remove the CompactFlash memory card and pop it into a USB memory card reader attached to your computer. If you don't have one, they're quite inexpensive and worth having. The same caveat applies concerning the order of the first two steps. That is, before you start the BR Wave Converter program, insert your memory card into the memory card reader and attach it to your computer's USB port. After Windows finds the card and assigns it a drive letter, then open the BR Wave Converter program and the card should automatically be detected by the program.

This is the method I use with my BR-864 for two very good reasons. The first is that my BR-864 is downstairs and my computer is upstairs. So it's a lot easier to pop the memory card out of the BR and carry it upstairs to the computer than it is to disconnect all the cables and carry the whole BR upstairs, then have to take it back downstairs when I'm finished and plug everything back in. And secondly, the BR-864 and BR-600 only have USB 1.1 which is quite slow. So transferring files or converting to WAV files is a lot faster with a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 card reader. If your computer has a USB 3.0 port, I'd definitely recommend getting a USB 3.0 card reader.

Warning: Always turn off the power to the BR-600 before removing or inserting the memory card. And be very careful, especially when inserting the card, as I've heard of people bending or breaking the tiny pins on the memory card connector in the BR, making the BR useless since it no longer has any storage. So always make sure the card is inserted straight and apply only gentle pressure as you insert it into the slot. If you're careful, you shouldn't have any trouble. Also, it's a good idea to discharge any static electricity in your hands by touching something metal before handling the memory card.

Here's an example of a USB 3.0 memory card reader which you can get for £19.99. Although, I'm sure you can find cheaper ones that are just as good. Just make sure it has a slot for CompactFlash as many of them don't nowadays.

(click the picture for more information)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website