Band fest a great idea but not long enough

Started by kenny mac, August 28, 2017, 07:41:54 AM

kenny mac

Quote from: launched on August 28, 2017, 09:06:51 PMMaybe we are making a lot of work for ourselves. Or maybe one person is and he should be let off the hook :)

Probably right mate,sometimes we forget the work involved here,and to the guys involved we will be eternally grateful.
I think as long as we do what we do in the true spirit of songcrafters and collaborate as we do it will all be good.

Mike_S

I think the fest was more successful than it seems at first glance. Yes there are only 4 songs in there right now, but that is input from around 10 or 12 people at a guess.

There may have been members looking on and kinda wanting to do it but not knowing quite how to instigate a band. Maybe some members don't want to be in a band at all - it must be possible!! - so it was for that reason I posted a thread proposing a band for our Diesel Saloon band (thanks Farrell and Mach!!), that way no one was under obligation and only willing participants were on board...

I think probably the majority of songcrafters were with this fest in spirit, but most likely not all ended up forming a band because of a little uncertainty and also time/work/personal issues also.

But from where I am standing I think it was a great idea and worked well... a repeat some day would be cool!!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

kenny mac

I guess I feel our band had more ideas to get out but ran out of time,we should do it regardless  ;D

64Guitars

I'm currently considering an idea that I think might work. I can't promise anything right now because it requires more thought and discussion with the rest of the admin team to work out any potential problems.

Anyway, here's the idea. If you're in a band or want to start a band, you'd register that band in a sticky topic called "Band Registration" by merely stating the name of the band and listing all of its members. Each band member must be a member of Songcrafters as well. I will then add this band information to a database table so that the jukebox software can access the bands and members, and the band will be assigned a unique Band ID number, much like the Member ID number that we each have now. When you post a song or edit an existing song post, there will be a new field available for Band ID, probably in the form of a drop-down list. This field will default to "0", meaning it's not a band post. But you can change it to any of the bands that you're a member of (you can be in multiple bands). Any member of the band can post the song and it doesn't have to be the same member each time. I'll create a new Band Jukebox which will be very similar to the existing Member Jukebox except that it will list bands down the right side rather than members. Selecting a band will play all the songs posted by that band.

As I said, this is only an idea at the moment. I can't promise that it's actually going to happen. But I think it might be a practical way of having a band jukebox that wouldn't require any maintenance by the admin team, other than the one-time registration of the band which is quite easy to do and only takes a few minutes.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Farrell Jackson

I think that's a great idea 64! I hope you can get it work out as you've described.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

64Guitars

One more suggestion I forgot to include in my earlier post (though I've added it now).

As with any festival, if you start a new song during the festival and don't have time to finish it, just send me a PM before the festival ends to let me know and I'll watch for your post and add it to the BandFest jukebox. You can take as much time as you need - a week, two weeks, whatever. But you must let me know by PM before the festival ends. After the festival ends, it's too late to start a new song but any songs that you started during the festival and informed me of will be accepted.

So Kenny (or anyone else), if you've started a song or want to start one now, you can still get it in the BandFest jukebox. Just send me a PM to let me know that you have a song in progress that needs more time to complete. But make sure you let me know before the festival ends.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

alfstone

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 29, 2017, 11:45:36 AMOne more suggestion I forgot to include in my earlier post (though I've added it now).

As with any festival, if you start a new song during the festival and don't have time to finish it, just send me a PM before the festival ends to let me know and I'll watch for your post and add it to the BandFest jukebox. You can take as much time as you need - a week, two weeks, whatever. But you must let me know by PM before the festival ends. After the festival ends, it's too late to start a new song but any songs that you started during the festival and informed me of will be accepted.

So Kenny (or anyone else), if you've started a song or want to start one now, you can still get it in the BandFest jukebox. Just send me a PM to let me know that you have a song in progress that needs more time to complete. But make sure you let me know before the festival ends.

...and this one is a GREAT thing!...

It happened to me lots of times...  >:(

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder