Can't play any tunes but through Soundcloud

Started by Blooby, August 15, 2017, 06:22:12 PM

Blooby

The title says it all, and it's only a Songcrafters issue as far as I can tell.

Windows 7. I assume it's a Flash issue but can't suss it out.

Any notions?

Blooby

64Guitars

On August 8th, I disabled all Flash players at Songcrafters. They should no longer be needed since recent versions of all the major web browsers support HTML5 audio and our HTML5 jukeboxes and MP3 players seem to be working well in most browsers.

Which browser are you using?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

I bet you're using Internet Explorer version 10 or older. Am I right?

I just found some old code that checks if the browser is IE 10 or older and if it is, forces it to use the flash players (which are currently disabled). I'll correct that now so that you can use the HTML5 players. However, I can't guarantee that they'll work right with such an old browser. I think the reason that code exists is because we had trouble with IE 10 and older when I first created the HTML5 players years ago, so I decided the simplest solution was to force IE 10 and older to use the Flash players.

You really should switch to a more modern browser. I recommend Firefox.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Okay. I've changed the code so that IE 10 and older are no longer forced to use the Flash players. So, hopefully, they should work in HTML5. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do to fix it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

I'm actually a Chrome guy, but whatever you did magically worked.

I had a feeling you would swoop in to save me. I know you're Clark Kent, and I won't even tell on you.

(blushing)

Thanks a lot.

Bruce

Blooby

I lied. It worked once. Back to not working.

Damn.

64Guitars

Try clearing Chrome's cache. There was a problem reported to me on August 4th where Chrome wasn't working with our players. I checked it out and found that toggling the Mute button usually fixed it. So I then changed the code to ensure that it started out un-muted when the page first loaded and that seemed to fix the problem. But if your browser's cache still has old copies of some pages at Songcrafters, you might not be getting the fixed version. Clearing the cache should solve that.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

When I was researching the Chrome problem, I found a few pages where people mentioned that Chrome sometimes had problems with longer songs but was okay with shorter songs. So if you find that some songs play but others don't, pay attention to the song lengths to see if that might be why.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

I have cleared the cache, tried IE, Firefox, and went back to Chrome. The tune I'm currently trying is 3:51 at https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=27137.0

Thanks so much for trying. I am still stymied right now.

Blooby.

Blooby

I reset Chrome to original settings, and the player worked for 30 seconds. Back to where I started.

Argh x2.

Blooby