Missing members

Started by The Gobi Desert Canoe Club, August 13, 2017, 07:19:05 AM

Hilary

Quote from: henwrench on August 14, 2017, 07:12:15 AMSo for the moment I'll sign off with my name and not the 'h' word. 'h' has gone away.

Mark

I thought that was so sad it made me want to cry . . .

I just don't feel like singing any more, maybe *insert real name" has gone away. I've had health issues (nothing major, hopefully), I'm working full-time and still gigging a bit. Most days I dip in to SC but hardly ever listen to music anymore.

I guess we all just need something to spark our imagingation again. One day, one day!

I'm so pleased to hear Tommy is home now and didn't realise about Mike (what sort of friend am I!)

xx
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

Been slow of late. Going through a period of musical lethergy - it will pass. Plus dealing with the constant stream of life. Nothing much to complain about, just an ever growing stack and me being a bit slow .....

Site does seem to be quite inactive at the mo. but I'm sure it will pick up. None of us are getting younger though.....well, perhaps in our heads ........
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Pete C

Hi All

I check SC every day and add a few comments here and there but have the same problem with life taking over and getting very little time to do any recording - I know I'm not a prolific in submitting songs - usually 5 or 6 a year - but haven't done one since last November.  Time just seems to be flying by as i get older. I really need to make an effort!

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

SteveB

Well I've just recently finished working over a month of night-shifts. Outta the home at 9pm, back at home for 8am  - - piggin awful I can tell you. But now I've a few days off before I'm back on days again - nice.
But what has struck me, especially going through this thread and catching up on SC events, (some obviously very sad indeed), is that the average age of SC Members may now be creeping up to at least the 60yrs-of-age mark - I'm in my 60s anyway - so what I'm saying is that none of us are getting any younger. And I read somewhere recently that young people are no longer learning musical instruments in a mass way, because it just takes too long to learn to play properly - which is v.sad.  :(

Another 'missing member' who springs to mind is Frank (Phantasm777), who used to do those wonderful Prog epics.  :(
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

holdempok

Hey all! Still here. hope all has been wonderful with everyone.

Cheers,

Mike
Why don't we do it on the road?

Pine

I've been involved in the online music sharing world since 2004 or so. To my recollection, it all seemed to peak about 2009/2010. That's for all the music sites, some of which closed down, changed ownership, or just rusted out. My rationale for that is that all the participants, the majority of which seem now to be between 50 and 70, had been involved in music for decades, many in bands. With the advent of affordable, high quality recording devices available around the turn of the century, there was a huge influx of these folks recording the songs they had written in years past. That generated a great rebirth in inspiration and camaraderie. So many of us thrived on being able to write and record at home basically for free. Making new friends and sharing files and doing collabs was/is great fun. But in the last 8 years or so, many of these folks have seen their creativity dwindle and their motivation greatly reduced, myself as an example. It's frustrating and depressing to me. My studio is full of great gear and I have all the free time I could ask for. So why aren't we writing and recording as much anymore? Is it because we have run out of gas creativity wise? Time issues? Health issues? Is it a "been there and done that" issue? I personally never expected to gain fame or fortune form any of this so that isn't a part of it. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for all the positive, supportive feedback I've gotten from fellow home recordists over the years I probably would have thrown in the towel long ago. I'm also really disappointed that there aren't any young folks on many of the music sites sharing their youthful enthusiasm. I guess all things in Life cycle, and this is just another example. I think what I personally need to do is just accept that and stop beating myself up with guilt for not being more productive. They say "to all things there is a season"..or something to that effect. It's just a hard pill to swallow ya know? Music was such a huge part of my Life for so many years. It's like seeing a loved one go into a nursing home. It's not the end of the road...but it ain't the joy ride it used to be. Can the fire be rekindled? Don't mean to be a wet blanket on the fire... just trying to came to terms with what the hell is happening. Perhaps some of you can relate...
recorder
Boss BR-1200

alfstone

Quote from: Pine on November 26, 2018, 07:02:40 AMI've been involved in the online music sharing world since 2004 or so. To my recollection, it all seemed to peak about 2009/2010. That's for all the music sites, some of which closed down, changed ownership, or just rusted out. My rationale for that is that all the participants, the majority of which seem now to be between 50 and 70, had been involved in music for decades, many in bands. With the advent of affordable, high quality recording devices available around the turn of the century, there was a huge influx of these folks recording the songs they had written in years past. That generated a great rebirth in inspiration and camaraderie. So many of us thrived on being able to write and record at home basically for free. Making new friends and sharing files and doing collabs was/is great fun. But in the last 8 years or so, many of these folks have seen their creativity dwindle and their motivation greatly reduced, myself as an example. It's frustrating and depressing to me. My studio is full of great gear and I have all the free time I could ask for. So why aren't we writing and recording as much anymore? Is it because we have run out of gas creativity wise? Time issues? Health issues? Is it a "been there and done that" issue? I personally never expected to gain fame or fortune form any of this so that isn't a part of it. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for all the positive, supportive feedback I've gotten from fellow home recordists over the years I probably would have thrown in the towel long ago. I'm also really disappointed that there aren't any young folks on many of the music sites sharing their youthful enthusiasm. I guess all things in Life cycle, and this is just another example. I think what I personally need to do is just accept that and stop beating myself up with guilt for not being more productive. They say "to all things there is a season"..or something to that effect. It's just a hard pill to swallow ya know? Music was such a huge part of my Life for so many years. It's like seeing a loved one go into a nursing home. It's not the end of the road...but it ain't the joy ride it used to be. Can the fire be rekindled? Don't mean to be a wet blanket on the fire... just trying to came to terms with what the hell is happening. Perhaps some of you can relate...

A perfect analysis, by my point of view.
And I agree also about the lack of new, young musicians as a great part of the music sites crisis.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Pete C

I joined SC in 2010, a few years after I'd stopped playing in a band so it was exciting to be able to record songs and get some feedback from like-minded folk. I know I've not been a prolific poster but I've always tried to join in the Fests and i check the site nearly every day.  I've felt the same this last year - not too far off 60 now but lacking the motivation to get my recording gear out and do a track.  I've been voting for Fests like the recent 1976 and Post-Punk fests and had loads of songs in my mind to cover but just can't get round to it. I don't know why as I still have an interest in guitars and gear and watch a lot of YouTube reviews ? I'm still working but have a long day as I have to drive 44 miles each way on a very congested part of the UK motorway network so my spare time in an evening is limited as I'm up early and out of the house for at least 11 hours. By weekend I'm just too tired to bother. When I do make the effort I feel so proud of what I've done (sometimes lol) but then the lack of motivation kicks back in. I'd hate to see Songcrafters finish as it's been part of my life for the last 8 years and kept me playing guitar - my ex-band members never even touch their instruments whereas, because of SC I've carried on and also learned a bit of bass and ukelele and of course, being forced to sing, which I never did when playing in bands. I really think that because of SC, if I ever joined another band I'd be a better musician than I used to be, once i got up to "match fitness" again.Perhaps we need to think of different type of Fests to encourage us to make that effort - perhaps engage in a bit more general discussion such as talking about our other interests to keep us all together as a community ? Love to hear what others think !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Mike_S

Hmm, this is a worry. Especially if the feeling of musical creativity being on a downward trajectory is shared by a lot of us on Songcrafters. I have noticed participation seems to have tailed off a bit recently. Some regulars seem to have disappeared altogether as well. I have been in a bit of a hole work wise and I have to dig myself out of it (could take a long time), so I am working evenings and weekends on top of normal hours. So any free time I am just recovering really, zombified in front of the telly mainly. To do anything decent musically my mind has to be reasonably fresh. I am fine for listening/commenting, but making music has been difficult. But looking long term I think Songcrafters needs new folk coming on board for sure. I think if anyone had any ideas on how to get new members it would be good...
recorder
iPad GarageBand

kenny mac

Hi there,welcome to songcrafters,looking forward to your work.
Kenny