Hurricane Season

Started by Mach, July 31, 2017, 05:53:12 AM

Hook

Spent the day preparing the house, mowing lawn, putting all my lawn furniture into the garage, etc. Not sure why I'm not worried but I'm just not. Went to the store for batteries...no luck. We've got food, water, candy, wine and rum...think we are set. My wife and my 14 year old are freaking out a bit, not sure what that means for me come Sunday. Stay safe my friends!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

Hang on, guys - hoping everything turns out okay.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Blooby

Finally found gas today. Didn't have to wait too long either. Some woman literally tried to nose her car in to edge me out. I got out of the car to politely ask her to do the right thing and she complied. People suck sometimes.

They don't have the correct generator for our school (it was sent to Texas for Harvey). I was given no contact numbers so it took me about an hour to get through to the correct person. Because of the number of shelters now open in the area, folks are spread thin, and it's starting to be a bit of a cluster. Not horrible yet, but I'm concerned to say the least when the power goes as my school is designated a special needs shelter. I will say there seems to be less panic in the air than yesterday, though. I think a lot of folks got their water and food so it seems to be many evacuees just trying to head north.

Hook, not sure how much better it will be up here, but the door is open if you and your family wish to bug out.

Rum and Coke tonight, boys.

Blooby

Geir

Stay safe my friends!!!!

If you've survived hurricane D so far I guess hurricane I won't be to bad  ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Lurker

Quote from: Blooby on September 08, 2017, 06:15:20 PMThey don't have the correct generator for our school (it was sent to Texas for Harvey).

Is the replacement generator you on a treadmill?

My liquor cabinet has some bottles that need to be emptied so I can refill them with water.  I'm on it.  Fortunately, I have reinforcements coming in from the coast tomorrow in the form of evacuees.  We should be able to refill a whole bunch of bottles before the storm hits.  This is the can-do spirit that will see us through.

bruno

Firstly my brothers, you and yours - stay safe. We are rooting for you, Florida is my most favourite place in the world and I love the people. I'm not much one for the higher powers, but am hoping that you all dodge this bullet!

Us Brits have no comprehension of this type of weather. This is why you will see Brits mesmorized by a bog standard Florida storm. We had a 'hurricane' once the UK, 1987 - and there were wind gusts of 80 mph overnight. It was quite messy next day, but that is about it! We are still talking about it - but this was really a nothing burger as compared IRMA.

I was facinated by the concept of storm snacks - I've never heard that before, and you guys hunkering down with Rum! Still guys - please let us know that you are all safe once it passes.

Hopes, prayers and everything crossed - hunker down, protect yourselves, ride this one out and stay safe.
We will be watching and hoping and thinking of you all.  

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

i echo bruno's request, that you all let us know you are safe and well, when irma passes.

also as bruno says we have no comprehension of such storms, the worst storm i remember in Scotland was at hogmanay 1967 the night before new years day 1968. we got winds at about 100mph and our bedroom window got blown in, my dad was really upset that two paintbrushes he had left to dry outside on the living room window sill, got blown away. and yes we are still talking about it today.

at least weather forecasting is a bit more helpful nowadays and there is plenty of warning to prepare for the worst.

am glad to see you are all looking out for each other, am thinking of you all now and am concerned for your safety, so stay safe.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SE

Yes guys stay safe,  have been watching the news and it looks really frightening, stay safe and we'll hear from you on the other side.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Blooby

My brother stayed behind in the Miami area with his in-laws. Winds have picked up to 35-40 mph (gusts) down there. I'm scooting through all the classrooms and unplugging computers, got 50 decks of cards from the dollar store for folks in the shelter, and we just fed a neighboring shelter. Roads seem calmer today. Things couldn't be quieter here weather-wise for now.

Sustained winds for the storm now about 125. Hoping like hell the land starts weakening the storm rapidly.

The rum didn't do it for me last night so tonight it's scotch. Must find batteries and break out the Micro BR this eve. Tomorrow afternoon to Monday afternoon is the sketchy period for Hook, Lurker, Mach, and myself. FYI, BrettBob is also a Floridian. I believe he is on the east coast about 2/3 down so I'm hoping he will be spared the brunt.

Peace.

Blooby

Pine

I feel for you guys in Florida. been watchin' it all unfold on the Weather Channel.
Not sure where each of you are in Florida, but as off now, it looks like the extreme SE (Miami area) will been missing the absolute worst of it. Still gonna be a mean and nasty storm. The west coast is gonna really take a beating. So many elderly, retired folks in that area. Gonna be a nightmare, like Harvey was for the folks in Houston and Beaumont. 4 FEET of rain!!??!! OMG...can't even fathom that. I'll take our blizzards anyday compared to floods and hurricanes. Hope the forecast is all overblown and you guys all get thru it safe and without any devastation. Gonna be a bumpy 48 hours.....and one hell of a massive cleanup. Good luck...
recorder
Boss BR-1200