OK - who's got the new Sgt Pepper?

Started by AndyR, May 30, 2017, 01:02:08 PM

AndyR

I wasn't going to bother, but... I'm so glad I did.

I've never really thought much of the album. I was 4 years old when it came out, so missed it then. In the 80s I got the red and blue compilations second hand, and I liked the Pepper songs that were on the blue album.

Then in the 90s when I bought all the CDs I finally heard Sgt Pepper in all it's glory... and... MEH!

What a disappointment! After all the hype etc... I couldn't believe it... What was all the fuss about? When it was so naff in comparison to Revolver and The White Album... I tried to get into it, but I can't have listened to that CD more than 5-10 times (the others must be each in the 100s). When I put the Beatles on my portable thing, I always leave Sgt Pepper off.

So, I really wasn't going to bother... but then I noticed it had been released last Friday, an "audiophile" forum I'm on started discussing and fighting over it. And because some of them were going "Agh! My ears bleed... it's too loud... I hate it... it's atrocious... Giles Martin is a git... etc" I started getting interested. I read an article/interview with Giles Martin about what he'd been trying to achieve, and I liked what he was saying.

I listened to a few bits on spotify - they are a bit "hot" on there, but I liked the mixes. Talked about it with the missus - I thought it seemed silly to buy it knowing I'm only going to listen to it once a year at the most... Then I listened to the new version of my most HATED track, Within You Without You... oh goodness, it's fabulous...

So we ordered the 2 CD version because I wanted the remixed Strawberry and Penny as well.

Yesterday morning we listened to the old CD - as usual, from Fixing a Hole onwards I lost interest. I went and did the washing up when Within You Without You started.

In the afternoon the new one arrived. I was quite excited. We put it on... and...

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

HOLY FLIPPIN WOW!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's amazing!

Shivers down the spine, tears, everything. Seriously, I had to dry my eyes.

The new version (in my opinion) is utterly fabulous. Last week I would have been in the "you shouldn't rewrite history" camp. But I love it to pieces. Fixing is a GORGEOUS song, I never heard it before. She's Leaving and When I'm 64 are (apparently) back up to the speed of the mono mixes which is what we all heard on the radio in the 60s - so they sound more "up" and less dirge-like. Lovely Rita is wonderful. All the "naff" songs are suddenly "ooo I likes this".

Day in the Life - one of my faves, obviously - was my only reservation on first listen. It didn't seem to have the magic I remember from the original. So we played the original again - and guess what? That doesn't have that magic either!! It was all in my head. That then freed me up to like the new mix as it is.

I've listened to the whole album four times since it arrived 24hrs ago. And I plan to listen to it again tonight. I'm about to rip it and stick it on the player for the commute. I've listened to all of Sgt Pepper (and loved it all) more times in the last 24hrs than I have in the previous 24 years.

• If you liked/loved Sgt Pepper as it was on George Martin's 67 stereo mix, you might not like this.
  • If you liked the 67 mono mix that the band were involved in, but wish it was like that in stereo, you might like this.
  • If like me, you've never heard the mono, you've "appreciated" the available CD (GM's 67 stereo) but always wished it was as good as everyone said it was - GET THIS GILES MARTIN 2017 REMIX NOW.

Sgt Pepper in stereo is now the rock album that The Beatles recorded. I absolutely adore it. You can hear the band playing together. You can hear Ringo, Paul's playing is WOW - it sounds like his bass sound in the sessions, not the squashed middy-sounding thing on the original mix, the guitars sound scrunchy and rock and roll. The vocals are AMAZING. The strings, woodwind, the sound effects, everything is gorgeous. Oh, the alarm clock, it isn't quite as loud as it used to be... but don't let that spoil it for you, because the "massive" piano crash at the end - the one that always sounded so wimpy :D - is HUGE now... yesss

Sgt Pepper finally sounds, to me, like the next album after Revolver, an understandable progression/development, rather than some strange un-rock-&-roll aberration out of nowhere with a few good songs on it, a load of (admittedly clever and musical) filler, and some weird stereo choices (which don't really bother me actually).

So, has anyone else got it? I know there's some other big Beatles fans on here.

Don't be scared, check it out, you might hate it, or it might be the best thing you've heard for a long time :) :) :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

ODH

The short answer would be no, but then maybe "not yet" after reading your post.

I'm very much Revolver and White Album too. Sgt Pepper has cast something of a long shadow through my lifetime (I was two when it came out) and maybe the hype kept me away from it, so I was nodding to what you wrote. Now I will definitely check it out though.

Cheers
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Blooby

I was hot and cold on this album as compared to some others. Having said that, "Within You Without You" is my favorite track (a gorgeous melody). You have piqued my interest on this release. Greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Blooby

Geir

Listening on spotify now .... thanx for the heads up !

I'm like no ... yes ... no ...YES .... YES ....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

Yep, I was a definite "no" to the idea to start with, but with a tentative "I'll give it a listen".

Then I was "I don't mind". Then it was YES when I listened to Within You Without You.

The streaming on spotify is ok, but it does sound even better on CD.

It wasn't until I got the CD and sat down to listen on the living room system that I was suddenly going OH MY GOODNESS -  YESS.

Mrs R's the same, we've never enjoyed listening to it as much as this before.

It's made me really rather happy - I've always wanted to like Sgt Pepper as an album, I know what effort went into it, and how ground-breaking it was... but I just couldn't get into it. Suddenly, with this version, I love it, it commands my attention... and I'm sat there listening with a big smile on my face.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

thetworegs

It's yes yes yes for me I feel like Meg Ryan in the restaurant always have since the first listen and I haven't heard the new version yet .... I'd best get some new underpants ready before I do by the sound of things 😁

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Hook

Just bought it on vinyl, heading home to listen.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

Excellent review, Andy. I'm a huge Beatles fan, and so I appreciate the amount of detail you've put into your perspective.

I must confess I've been and still am somewhat on the fence about this latest reissue of Sgt. Pepper's. I've appreciated the album through the years, but have come to enjoy Revolver and Rubber Soul more in the last decade or so. I picked up a vinyl mono reissue of of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band a few months ago but haven't given it my full attention yet. All the same this latest reissue is also available on Amazon Prime streaming, so I will definitely check it out.

Perhaps once things have calmed down a bit, I'll be ready to splurge. Or I might not wait after I check it out on Amazon.  ;D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hook

Just started side 2 and it's sounded pretty fucking fresh and FAB!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80