Help! I just found an injured bird

Started by Blooby, May 17, 2017, 05:37:32 PM

Blooby

I just found an injured bird outside, and the stray cats were due for their evening feeding. I threw a can down quickly to occupy one cat while I caught the bird (Yes, I understand cat motivations but don't judge.). I've got the bird in a (what else?) cat carrier with a shallow bowl of water. What the hell do I do now?

It appears the left wing is injured although s/he still can tuck it underneath, and s/he looks sort of like this:

Blooby

64Guitars

I just did a quick search and there are lots of web pages with advice. The first site I looked at said:

"It's illegal for a person without a license to attempt to rehabilitate a wild animal or bird without help from a licensed professional.[22] Birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, making it illegal for you to keep one in your possession without a license.[23]"

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-an-Injured-Wild-Bird-That-Cannot-Fly

Here are the search results with lots more pages:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+care+for+an+injured+bird&t=hd&ia=web

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Looks like you should probably eat it. So much for caring for nature and it's wonderful inhabitants.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

I'd try calling a local vet, animal shelter, or a state wildlife office for help.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Rata-tat-tat

Blooby... I would second Cuths advice... There are vets out there that will help injured wildlife... there aren't many of them left,but they are still out there...good luck!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Mach

recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike_S

And it looks like a nice bird too... probably call a vet or some animal people yeah. But in the meantime maybe put some worms or bird seed or something in there too till he gets help?
recorder
iPad GarageBand

kenny mac

Yeh local vet will look at it or suggest a vet that will.
Good luck.

Blooby

Turned out to be a juvenile Blue Jay. Former art teacher and animal person took it in and just told me the little guy will be fine.

I would've loved to put it somewhere in my yard as (presumably) Mom would be near, but there really isn't anywhere the neighborhood cats wouldn't get him. Best I could do.

I appreciate the input.

Blooby

Rata-tat-tat

You're a good man Blooby... I love wildlife and would have done the same thing. I do have a sad/horrific story to tell. Same context.

My Mother and Father managed the KOA campground in Myrtle Beach SC for a number of years. My mom would feed all of the wild birds that gathered in the "swash" (A tidal effected pond).... There were many varieties of water foul that would gather and my mom had a routine... Once in the morning once in the evening. It was cool to watch all of the ducks and geese gather around her when it was feeding time. She had names for all of them. One day I got a call from her... she was in tears talking about one of her favorite ducks appeared very sick and could barely stand up. I told her to contact a vet to see if there was anything that could be done. She immediately drove the distressed duck to the vet. She was relieved to hear that the duck was going to be fine, but we were both horrified when we found out what had happened to her. Apparently she had been gang banged (raped) by all of the other male ducks and geese to the point she had almost died. The vet told her this is a common thing in the wild with ducks and geese. Since then... working on the ranch... I have witnessed it myself... We had a petting zoo. I constantly had to separate the ducks from the geese or this would happen.

I don't know if there is a moral to this story, but if there where, I think it would be... If it walks like a duck/ quacks like a duck... it might want to watch it's backside cause them Canadians are horny bastards.
recorder
Tascam DP-02