First Post; Original song: The Rambler

Started by EWC, February 22, 2017, 11:30:49 PM

EWC

Wow, didn't expect so many responses so quickly, and such positive encouragement from all over the world.  ;D Thanks to all who replied--it does an Old Hack good to hear these things, especially about my vocals, which are somewhat a point of insecurity for me.

So, at the risk of being verbose, I will answer a few questions (was gonna include some of this in the OP but did not know how much information would be needed or desired) and respond to a few comments.

Equipment: I'm recording through a Windows-based DAW using Studio One 3 Producer (can't say enough good things about the S-1 software--really smooth and intuitive workflow).  I have a Focusrite Scarlet interface, and have just started using a Presonus Studio Channel as a mic pre/channel strip, which has really helped with getting consistent vocal and acoustic guitar tracks as the unit contains both a hardware compressor and EQ.  All other plug-ins are stock S-1 plug-ins.

Instruments and Process: I typically record, starting with an acoustic guitar scratch track played and recorded (using a large diaphragm condenser mic), against a steady rhythm loop.  I then reprogram drums (using Addictive Drums and a midi interface and/or the piano roll) once the song begins to develop.  For electric guitars, I use a Line 6 modeling unit (POD XT) direct to the interface.  Bass is recorded direct to the interface (I usually add a couple of plugins to fatten up the tone once I'm satisfied with my bass lines).  All other instruments (with the exception of the mandolin, in this song) are the product of my midi keyboard interface and some sort of VST instrument.  In this case (yes, Mach)  there is an accordion part, created with the stock Presence synth, which comes with S-1.  I play just enough keyboard to make this arrangement work, and I can usually figure out any instrument that has strings to an extent that I can get something decent to produce.

Songwriting: This is a slow process for me.  I typically write using an acoustic guitar, so as I begin to post more stuff, everyone may notice a proclivity for "acoustically inspired" materai (sorry, Blooby, you're not likely to get that Mahavishnu Orchestra piece anytime soon).  I have not been a very prolific songwriter, although I suspect my increased interest in the recording process may spur that a bit.  My immediate goal is to get 10 decent tunes recorded for a self-produced digital release.  I've got 7-8 somewhat close to being finished (in various stages of mixing and arranging), with a couple of more just needing enough attention to get tracks laid down so that arrangement and mixing can commence.

Once again, honest criticism is both expected and encouraged.  I will try to do the same for everyone in return.

Art Vandalay

Very good production, love the mandolin sound, congrats!

Mike_S

Nothing wrong with the voice. Sounds good to me and suits the style of music. I find it strange to listen to my own voice too.

Great song, really enjoyed it, nice and simple and complete sounding. Great stuff!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Farrell Jackson

Great first post EWC! Excellent harmonies to back up your good voice. The mando was a cool surprise to hear plus you played it well for the first time out.....I wish Blooby lived close so I could pop over and borrow some of his instruments, lol. Better than well done!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Groundy

Great first post EWC , and a warm welcome from Snowy Scotland,
Just love this number, so well written and performed,
Well done.....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Johnny Robbo

A fantastic first post, mate. Great songwriting & superb performances on all fronts. Excellent pro-sounding production too. Bravo!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

Hook

Well done, sounds good on all fronts. Your voice sounds great, a touch of Elvis in there...never a bad thing. Welcome from Tampa.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

kenny mac

Welcome to the site,a breath of fresh air my friend,it's good to see people  come on here and grow.
Your fear regarding your vocals are unfounded,you have a great voice,a nice individual tone.
The music is great and recorded very well.
Bravo to you or as we say here in Scotland ,,,,,,Braw

Hilary

Excellent - I couldn't fault it, and welcome :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Groundy

Im back for another listen to this little cracker....
Must be time for another,

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs