How do you listen to music?

Started by Hook, February 07, 2017, 06:29:34 AM

Oldrottenhead

if i am on foot i have headphones on in my phone listening to various stuff, i generally try and listen to new bands, the stuff i like goes onto a favourites playlist the rest gets dumped, i also try and catch up with stuff i maybe missed first time round or didn't pay attention to at the time.

am currently reading keith richards autobiography so it's all things stones. soon will be stooges after seeing gimme danger.

in the car i do same thing make up compilations of mp3s on cd, of new stuff to listen to or old stuff to reminisce over.

at home it's bbc6music all day. that way i get to hear a lot of new stuff, that's why i frown at folk who say music's not like it was in the old days. imho music just keeps getting better and better if you look in the right places.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

ODH

I guess my main listening opportunity is while in the car (driving), when I usually have my iPod on shuffle.  Right now it has 10,624 songs (to be precise) so I get a wide diversity, which is how I like it.  I try to make sure I have a lot of stuff I've never heard before on there so I buy the MOJO Magazine most months, which comes with a free compilation CD is some theme or other.  Also through this site I've found a lot of music styles I wouldn't have previously listened to, 50's rock'n'roll in particular, and Northern Soul.

Next up would be in work with my headphones on.  Usually this involves dialling up an album on YouTube.  More often than not this is Hounds of Love by Kate Bush, to be honest.  Although I like diving into the 'YouTube vortex' and seeing where that takes me.

Listening to music at home almost never happens, unfortunately.  If it does it's when I'm washing the dishes, when I have my iPod on (and see section 1 above for how that goes).
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Hi all, I have no preferred method of listening to music. I tend to listen through cans as Mrs Willie enjoys peace and quiet but occasionally when she's out I enjoy a music DVD, l love to watch musicians work. Pink Floyd are probably my favourites but I'm not that fussy, my tastes are wide and varied. I have no plans to return to vinyl although I quite like the warmer sound that vinyl produces, having said that my Bose setup ain't bad.   Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Flash Harry

Interesting - recently I bought a pair of Mordaunt Short bookshelf speakers and a small amp - my wife has banned the Tannoys and the home-made Gainclone, so I can listen to music in a space again after some considerable time.

The answer is - on my settee in my front room sometimes - much preferred - and on my in-ears at other times when I can't disturb people.

Next step is to re-introduce the turntable and some vinyl. I've a real hankering to listen to my Bowie collection. 
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Blooby

I listen mostly in the car as my commute is about 25 minutes (one way). I have some family-related issues of late that force me to travel back and forth from Atlanta. It's nice to have that amount of time for the dedicated listening of music. I will also often fall asleep to music on my iPad.

Funny (and rather depressing in retrospect) I probably have over 10,000 CDs, but I listen to mostly 192 kb/s MP3s. My aging ears can apparently tolerate any difference in quality. I occasionally will sit out by my fire pit with an mp3 player and speaker, but one of my great joys is listening to music while on my camping trips, both while floating and at the camp site on the side of a river.

I have about 10 hours or so of my own mixes, but I still album-listen for the most part, and I will rarely skips songs. I also rarely abandon books, regardless how much I may hate them. I think that's a bit weird, but I gots to be me.

Hook painted a nice picture of sitting down with his morning cup of joe and listening to Songcrafters. That would be my Sunday morning thing when time permits.

My newest habit is listening on YouTube. I've discovered some really fabulous bands through the side links.

Blooby

kenny mac

ive recently taken to spotify for the following reasons.
you can put in a search for say,life on mars and get about 40 different versions of other people doing it and its cool to hear different takes,plus you can search for old ones you remember from your childhood etc.
Music to me is like a diary,I remember what I was doing when a certain record was playing.
For instance ,chain reaction by Diana ross reminds me of the Dancing, standing there dressed like Don Johnson from Miami vice trying to be cool when really I was a joke lol.
New gold dream reminds me of gigging in Aberdeen and the after party, things like that.
Also Music is a great calmer, Bob Marley was on my car stereo as I went to Hospital for My heart op and old Bob chilled me out(without the spliff)
so it has to be computer based for me for practicality.

Redler

I think my mp3 player (Creative ZEN 16 gb from 2007) is the main source nowadays. Simply, I can't listen to the radio, because of "today's hits" ;D . If I listen to radio I choose often "Radio Speech". There's good documents and interesting topics...

Sometimes, I connect the mp3 player onto my stereo. I have forgot CD's and vinyls.

When I like to find something new, I play my favorite bands on YouTube and soon it plays related artists. On that way I have found some good bands and music!

On holidays I connect mp3 player onto Bluetooth speaker.
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

Quote from: Blooby on February 09, 2017, 03:18:31 PMHook painted a nice picture of sitting down with his morning cup of joe and listening to Songcrafters. That would be my Sunday morning thing when time permits.

It's my Friday morning this week!
Loving my vinyl though...kind of surprised at some of the adamant naysayers. I, like Willie, think there's a warmer sound to vinyl that nothing can replicate & that surprises me because I don't usually notice hearing sound that deeply. Maybe it's just nostalgia... I have no problem with MP3456s or streaming, I set Pandora on classical all the time.
I'm a big fan of listening to an Album end to end in order. I seldom do shuffle...and I do listen to my own crap alot...haven't put any of that on vinyl yet but I might!
Rock on friends!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely