Loss of Mojo

Started by Mike_S, December 12, 2016, 02:04:02 PM

Hilary

Don't worry, it'll come back when it's meant to.

Fests are great for inspiration if you fancy them, but if you don't they can be a bit of a turn-off - mainly listening for me as I hate being told what do to, so they don't tend to hold my attention much (unless someone wants to do a collab for the fest).

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Johnny Robbo

Quote from: Hilary on February 04, 2017, 11:00:09 AMDon't worry, it'll come back when it's meant to.

I'll second that. I've just been through a bout of mojo-loss the past couple of months. It happens... and trying to force something out when it's just not there rarely (if ever) results in music you're proud of in the long term. My usual ploy at these times is to work on the purely technical aspects of the instrument: a chord shape you've never really been comfortable with; a lead guitar technique like sweep-picking; a genre of music that you've always shied away from etc etc.

By "parking" the creativity side of things you don't feel obliged to pluck a tune out of thin air... you're just building up the skill base for when inspiration DOES strike. And here's the best part: often exploring these new avenues is EXACTLY what does get the old juices flowing.
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

Hook

All great ideas for getting your mojo back. When I was learning to play saxaphone as a teenager the then Superintendent of music for Chesterfield County,Va, (I was friends with his kid) told me that I didn't have to practice everyday but I did have to hold the instrument for 30 min. While watching TV, sitting inside listening to records, etc. Your fingers start moving unconsciously...I still do this.
glad to hear your playing brother, the rest will come.
Rock on!

It's an even better technique with something new ;)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

Quote from: Hook on February 04, 2017, 03:18:33 PMWhen I was learning to play saxaphone as a teenager the then Superintendent of music for Chesterfield County,Va, (I was friends with his kid) told me that I didn't have to practice everyday but I did have to hold the instrument for 30 min. While watching TV, sitting inside listening to records, etc. Your fingers start moving unconsciously

Some excellent advice you got there, Hook - thanks for sharing that!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Boognish

I think we all get this way at times.
I get frustrated that everything I play sounds the same, etc.
I've found my best way to get out of a funk like that is to try to find some music I'm not very familiar with, and give it a good listen. Even classical music, or something you might not think you'd ever like...
Maybe not even try to play it, but just listen for differences in timing, tempo, chord progressions, etc. and see what differences you can pick up on. Might refresh the creative juices a bit.

Works for me (sometimes).
Okay to cover.

Blooby

I haven't been playing as much lately. I am preoccupied with work and some family stuff, so I have found that doing the live duo stuff with John has been really helpful. Some days, I don't want to go to the gig, but I usually find myself lost in the music after a half an hour or so. John has to give me the hook as I want to keep playing.

When I listen to other folks being creative on this site or elsewhere, rather than get pumped up, I get really ticked at myself. There's a downward spiral for a bit, and then I emerge. I don't know if I have a trick for working through these times other than try to limit the stressors. I know the gear purchasing route doesn't work for me (yet I do it constantly).

This thread has been interesting. It validates that we all have lives to lead, and inspiration ebbs and flows. Having said that, I am truly thankful for this site as an outlet when things are going well. Kudos to the administrative team once again. It has been said but never enough.

Blooby

Boognish

Quote from: Blooby on February 21, 2017, 07:14:22 PMThis thread has been interesting. It validates that we all have lives to lead, and inspiration ebbs and flows. Having said that, I am truly thankful for this site as an outlet when things are going well. Kudos to the administrative team once again. It has been said but never enough.

Blooby

I think that just comes with the territory of being creative individuals.
I might have a week where I record several songs, then several weeks where I hardly pick up my guitar.
But I also have to go to work 5 days a damn week lol
Okay to cover.