Loss of Mojo

Started by Mike_S, December 12, 2016, 02:04:02 PM

AndyR

Quote from: FuzzFace on December 15, 2016, 02:33:05 PMGet a new guitar

Usually, I would say this, applaud this, in fact, I would possibly even insist on this as the correct reaction to a loss of mojo...

But, I've bought four guitars since the last recording I made... and I don't think it's worked so well this time!! :D :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Mike_S

Quote from: IanR on December 15, 2016, 06:40:06 PMI also think the Songcrafters festivals are a great thing. You can imagine yourself as a songwriter in the Brill Building or Tin Pan Alley, being paid for songs to order.

Ian

I am hanging my hat on the festivals lately... i am starting to like the idea of someone telling me what to do - what left to my own devices i end up doing nothing a lot.

Thanks for your thoughts all!!
recorder
iPad GarageBand

bruno

Set yourself a little task or an experiment with some bit of kit, you'll get carried away in the process, you'll will become inspired without even knowing it. Once your start ...
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

FuzzFace

Quote from: AndyR on December 16, 2016, 12:33:16 AM
Quote from: FuzzFace on December 15, 2016, 02:33:05 PMGet a new guitar

Usually, I would say this, applaud this, in fact, I would possibly even insist on this as the correct reaction to a loss of mojo...

But, I've bought four guitars since the last recording I made... and I don't think it's worked so well this time!! :D :D

Trade in all guitars for a killer xylophone

Hook

Do not trade...ever, but you should by a killer zylophone & a guitar & a bass & a ukulele & a ubass & a synth & a....
Fest are good and cheap also but buying feels better.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

FuzzFace

Quote from: Hook on December 16, 2016, 09:09:10 AMDo not trade...ever, but you should by a killer zylophone & a guitar & a bass & a ukulele & a ubass & a synth & a....
Fest are good and cheap also but buying feels better.
Rock on!

Of course you are right.
I was just thinking the loss of beloved instruments may spawn new material to write about.

Mike_S

So basically since posting this thread, I find I have been starting to pick up the acoustic and just strumming easy songs (covers) and trying to sing along. Been quite enjoying it, but the furthest thing thing from my mind is doing a recording right now. Just enjoying the "real" moment i guess. I think i was starting to feel obliged to "record" every time i picked up a guitar which in its own way maybe started to have a negative effect on me.

For the moment I am gonna keep strumming in a spare five ten mins here and there. I will pop my head in shortly to listen to some of the new tracks on here in the meantime.

Cheers guys!!

:)

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

pjd1

I have read this thread with interest I too had about three years were I recorded a lot of stuff posted and enjoyed the feedback , then just hit a wall were every song seemed the same , lead break , and chord sequences , I fell of the edge and into the Abyss, which annoyed me and affected the way I recorded and approached any new material that I played on guitar , then the band I was in packed in so all things musical just went Tits up ! I have retired now and switching on my BR800 deleting, and reviewing some of the ideas I had some of them nearly 6 years ago, the fact that you have posted your concerns about hitting a wall means to me that you will eventually start to record again and have some fresh ideas to share , little baby steps for me and for you , good luck and keep playing something will fire you up and keep the juices flowing

Dunny   
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Mike_S

So still strumming away but not forcing any songs into production for the sake of it. I have something i am fiddling about with that i quite like so with a bit of luck it should see the light of day, but could take a few weeks yet as its just a bit of a riff with one verse so far. And to top it all  I have too much work to do. My own fault really - I work freelance and sometimes land myself in it with too much to do...
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

i can't find my mojo at all these days, but probably more down to lack of time, work life is a blur just now, hopefully it will be grist for the mill and when i get some time to myself the songs will come.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann