A Bajo Sexto..a Halloween treat for Hook

Started by Hook, October 31, 2016, 06:01:55 AM

Hook

This came up on craigslist a few day ago and I picked it up for $100. It's a Bajo Sexto (sixth bass) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajo_sexto, 12 strings in courses tuned EADGCF and is and octave lower than a guitar. From what I can gather, you play chord shapes on the higher strings and hit bass notes with your pointer finger. Unfortunately all the tutorial videos are in Spanish but I can see their fingers...also, unfortunately it is so beautiful and elaborate I can't just casually blend it in to the collection...my wife will definitely notice this one...it's still in the case ::) :-\ :'(
I did mess around with it yesterday in the car, had to open the window :D but figured out a few things. That C & F really throw me. I could tune it down a 1/2 step I guess but I want to figure it out the right way. The Neck is so wide it's like crossing a river. It's an Oscar Schmidt does have Fishman electronics, haven't tested them but the tuner works well.
It appears to be brand new but there is a split in the body that tuns vertical down from the saddle. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Tres, Quatro, and now the Sexto...so cool!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

Holy moly brother, you are going to get yourself in big trouble  :) :)
That looks sweet - I'm sure it will blend in with all the others!!!

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Groundy

It looks a beauty Hook, Cant wait to hear it....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Redler

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

thetworegs

It's a beauty!! ... how about Put a lampshade on top of it and set it in the corner Monty python like ... she'll never notice 🤔

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

kenny mac

Wow nice one hook an Oscar shimth as well.
Lovely,can wait to hear some stuff with this,your something else mate with all this musical collection.