A case against "True Bypass" in effects pedals

Started by 64Guitars, August 30, 2016, 07:35:44 PM

64Guitars

I stumbled across this interesting article by renowned effects pedal and pedal board systems designer Pete Cornish.

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html

He makes some good points about "true bypass". It would seem that you're probably better off without it, provided you have well-designed pedals. And cable length is something that every effects pedal user should pay attention to. Keep those cables as short as possible or your tone could be adversely affected.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

bruno

Interesting read and some valid points - however. as always - I would say use your ears. I had a problem with the TC Nova recently - which is buffered - it really changed the tone - not in a bad way - but it was different. And it was annoying! This was in the effects loop in the kemper - but discussed in depth on the Nova forum.

As always, you have to dig to find the right tone. Interestingly the last two pedels (the Obscura and the Polara by Digitech) are both to support traling reverb and echos - with a switch on both pedals to flick between :-) There is no change in tone when switching - so basically down to the design!
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Speed Demon

I only use one floor pedal. A Wah. I moved to rack-mounted effects with a midi controller many years ago. Much better.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Hook

Interesting read. I don't use individual pedals at all, I do have my eye on a mini wah for the studio. When I play live I have my Boss ME80 and I have the Blackstar ID Beam (upgraded the core 10 for the added acoustic and bass features...it's awesome! ) for the studio.
Pedals have always just seemed a pain to me when a processor had plenty to keep me happy.
There's a Kemper (toaster) on Craigslist for $1650 right now. If he ever comes down to $100 I'll jump on it.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

That is a good read 64. It brings up some interesting things about true bypass and buffered pedals that I didn't think about. I've always tried to keep my cable runs short as possible (no more than 30 feet total) to avoid lost signal and tone problems so I've not experienced any problems at all. 4 pedals are the most I used with a mix of true bypass and buffered. Although I do have a Line 6 chorus pedal that I stopped using because it would change my guitar's tone when idle or engaged.  Anyone want to buy a slightly used chorus pedal  ;D.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Geir

Could a Kemper model a 63 feet cable?  I guess it could :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........