Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

RIP, Tomita. :(

Always loved that piece, which I first heard on Jack Horkheimer's "Star Hustler" astronomy program on PBS back in the late Seventies/early Eighties. For those who don't know "The Hork" ;), here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkJheh1XcAQ

I have to confess I don't know a lot of Tomita's other work, but I'll be checking it out.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on May 09, 2016, 10:59:50 AMAlways loved that piece, which I first heard on Jack Horkheimer's "Star Hustler" astronomy program on PBS back in the late Seventies/early Eighties.

I remember watching that PBS programme. I wasn't a regular viewer by any means but I've watched it a few times.

Quote from: cuthbert on May 09, 2016, 10:59:50 AMI have to confess I don't know a lot of Tomita's other work, but I'll be checking it out.

I'm really only familiar with his "Snowflakes Are Dancing" album which was quite popular in the 70s. I bought a copy on vinyl in 1981 which I still have. The whole album is awesome, but "Arabesque No. 1" is one of my favourites. Another favourite is "Golliwog's Cakewalk".

Note: The dynamic range is quite big, so you need to turn up the volume in order to hear the quieter bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aX1PJ3kLJ4

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 09, 2016, 12:11:13 PMI remember watching that PBS programme. I wasn't a regular viewer by any means but I've watched it a few times.

I remember the local PBS station used to sign off with an episode every night. Speaking of which, remember when TV stations used to sign off? Those were the days...

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 09, 2016, 12:11:13 PMI'm really only familiar with his "Snowflakes Are Dancing" album which was quite popular in the 70s. I bought a copy on vinyl in 1981 which I still have. The whole album is awesome, but "Arabesque No. 1" is one of my favourites. Another favourite is "Golliwog's Cakewalk".

Note: The dynamic range is quite big, so you need to turn up the volume in order to hear the quieter bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aX1PJ3kLJ4

That's a very playful composition - I enjoyed listening to it!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

ODH

Great loss to me.

When I was very young (early teens) my mother had Snowflakes are Dancing and Pictures at an Exhibition in her collection. Had a disproportionate influence on my musical development.

Shame.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Blooby

I have spun Snowflakes are Dancing and his version of Holst's The Planets many times.

I'm glad he lived a long life but still very sad.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

i had snowflakes are dancing, wore out a few needles listening to it.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

Oh FFS!

Another great influence passes.

Pictures at an Exhibition - I have it on vinyl somewhere, at this rate I will have to get the old record player out.

RIP
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.