Roland v studio 20 not supported by Windows 10

Started by kenny mac, May 02, 2016, 02:24:36 PM

kenny mac

Hi dudes,I purchased a Roland vs20 recently and was adamant that after my holiday/vacation that I'm just back from that I was going to get into it and try computer based recording rather than my usual stand alone stuff.
Unfortunately before I left for holiday I updated to Windows 10.
Couldn't get the usb powered interface to light up and discovered online that there is no windows 10 driver available and doesn't look like Roland are going to be doing this any time soon.
I've come across this sort of stuff a lot recently,for instance there is a pedal I bought called the Ipb10 that uses an iPad but they have now Completely stopped making them and any support ap wise.
It's very annoying that people are forking out good money and then when the product moves on then all thoughts for the customers that have previously bought anything are completely forgotten about.
I'm now left with a reasonably new item that I can't use  ???

cuthbert

Quote from: kenny mac on May 02, 2016, 02:24:36 PMI'm now left with a reasonably new item that I can't use  ???

Sorry I can't offer much help with the Win10 issue itself, but can you roll back your PC to the last OS that was installed (presuming the vs20 worked with that operating system)?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

kenny mac

Thanks for that mate,had a read at it,it looks like it's a case of hold tight until Roland catches up   :(

bruno

and therein lies the problem with PC based music. Its great, but the downside is the moving target. Thinking about firing up the 4 track tape machine after 20 years for the current fest; as big as a pain as it it, it still works - and you can use it. However I wonder how much of the current equipment bought today, will still be able to be used in 20 years time??? I suspect very little....
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

kenny mac

Quote from: bruno on May 28, 2016, 08:36:51 AMand therein lies the problem with PC based music. Its great, but the downside is the moving target. Thinking about firing up the 4 track tape machine after 20 years for the current fest; as big as a pain as it it, it still works - and you can use it. However I wonder how much of the current equipment bought today, will still be able to be used in 20 years time??? I suspect very little....
B
Yeh Bruno,I actually don't use the computer to record and stick with my Roland vs stand alone studio with Zip discs.
Old but good system,I was hanging off to learn from this new one to make life easier as my system doesn't do Wavs etc and cutting and pasting.
I love the Roland vs machines and have two 840s and one 840gx,the txt is my favourite the other ones ,I hold as spares in case any of them go out of action.
I bought a Br80 recently for on the move stuff but haven't even looked at it to be honest.
The Vs I'm familiar with and serves me well for this site and what I want to do but I would love more tracks to play with.
I'm currently on the search for new ways and machines,as always.

64Guitars

Quote from: kenny mac on May 28, 2016, 12:48:40 PMI love the Roland vs machines and have two 840s and one 840gx,the txt is my favourite the other ones ,I hold as spares in case any of them go out of action.

Quote from: kenny mac on May 28, 2016, 12:48:40 PMThe Vs I'm familiar with and serves me well for this site and what I want to do but I would love more tracks to play with.
I'm currently on the search for new ways and machines,as always.

The 840s have MIDI In and Out. Instead of keeping the extra machines merely as spares, why not put them to use by synching them with MIDI? Then you'd have 24 tracks instead of 8. It's the machine you're familiar with but with more tracks to play with. Isn't that exactly what you're looking for?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

kenny mac

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 28, 2016, 01:14:42 PMThe 840s have MIDI In and Out. Instead of keeping the extra machines merely as spares, why not put them to use by synching them with MIDI? Then you'd have 24 tracks instead of 8. It's the machine you're familiar with but with more tracks to play with. Isn't that exactly what you're looking for?

I have been thinking about that but rather than having all machines linked together and using up the room I was going to try and go the way of the vs 20  because that gave me the 24 tracks off the one machine ,but I now have more room since moving the studio I may do that until Roland get thier arse in gear or someone else develops a driver to run on windows 10.

Oldrottenhead

hi kenny have you tried using the windows 8 drivers http://www.roland.co.uk/products/v-studio_20/downloads/

i got myself one of those usb video convertors for copying old vhs tapes, there where no windows 10 drivers for it, however it works with the windows 8 driver on both my windows 10 pc and windows 10 laptop. if not tried might be worth a shot.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

kenny mac

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on May 30, 2016, 02:38:55 AMhi kenny have you tried using the windows 8 drivers http://www.roland.co.uk/products/v-studio_20/downloads/

Yeh jim it was originally the Windows 8 driver I had when I upgraded to 10 it all went south.My machine of choice just now is a Roland vs840 gx but only last night I purchased another for an unbelievably low price and I'm hoping to link the two together as they take 250 mb zip discs ,I'm also looking into converting one of my machines with an sd card
Instead of the zip.
I purchased the kit but need a longer connection to fit it into the outside wall of the machine so next stop Maplins :)
I have two Roland vs 840s but the are only 100 mb discs but great machines.
I may stick them on eBay ,I really need to get shot of some stuff, I.e. drum machines,effect pedals
 ;D