Cultural minute. (and Musical ...) by JP uncle, in Haiti

Started by Jean Pierre, April 25, 2016, 03:21:46 AM

Jean Pierre

sorry for the translation..by google translate :'(

..I have already told you about the Ollofson Hotel in Port au Prince

legendary hotel, which was the setting the Graham Greene novel "the comedians" and then the eponymous film with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton: the action takes place in this hotel in Port au Prince, at the time of Papa Doc (a friend of France  >:(...) and its famous tontons Macoutes

Of numerous artistic personalities, politicians have stayed at the hotel Ollofson regularly (Mike Jagger, Jackie Kennedy .have their own private and reserved room...) in the years of apogee of tourism in Haiti (years 70 and early 80)

The current manager of the Ollofson is Richard Auguste Morse whose father was an American sociologist and writer university and her mother is Emérante of Pradine, a famous Haitian singer.

Richard Morse is the cousin of another Haitian singer (rap) became president of the republic Richard Martelly.
He actively supported Martelly when he was a candidate but was far from existing power in 2014.
Richard Morse escaped several abductio attempts and assassinations ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Auguste_Morse

Richard Morse created the musical group RAM which he is the leader, which happens every Thursday night at the Ollofson
it ''s the "musik rasin" (roots music), a mixture of voodoo culture and de..rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziik7QUX_Xs&list=PLf26K3T0OhdSdsruASLWjLy3dhwKLsysq&index=5

PS in the beginning of the video by the way you see a major cause burns to the child in Haiti (and generally poor country) ... is the kitchen floor

I had the opportunity to discuss Saturday with Richard Morse about a Haitian painting naive painting that is in the hotel's gallery (in PJ) I thought it was a representation of the Holly communion ... it is not so! . In fact it is a special order of Richard Morse to the Haitian painter (famous) "Gerard" because he wanted a representation of "LWA" (or Loas) eating (the LWA are Vaudoux deities)

Here is

If one day you come in "tourist" in Haiti ( YES! Tourism slowly takes over and there are tour operators in the airport, waiting for the few tourists who venture into Haiti) and many go to the hotel Ollofson (not too expensive, 4 stars, 100 euros by night)
You will meet the ghosts can be Liz Taylor, Richard Burton, Jackie Kennedy, Jean Claude Vandamme (really he is not dead?) ... Etc

PS Tomorrow I attack dry: 6 hours of non stop courses in a room at 35 ° without air conditioning, pray for voodoo deities moi☺
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo