Future of SoundCloud Looking Grim...

Started by cuthbert, February 13, 2016, 08:16:51 PM

Speed Demon

I wonder how long it will take Soundcloud to burn through that 170 million, then who will bail them out the next time.
And the time after that. Only the government loves a loser. Birds of a feather, and all that implies.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 11, 2017, 08:23:34 PM
BBC: Soundcloud survives money scare

"Music streaming service Soundcloud will live on after securing a reported $170m (£135m) in investment."

I know it's not that simple, but money dumps with no ROI can't last forever. I read the article, which claims there are 40 million subscribers. My guess is that only a fraction of them pay for the service. I don't use it, but it is clearly an enterprise grade product that should require some form of subscriber payment at any level. With that number of subscribers it would take a minuscule annual fee to cover base costs.

It's funny how a free introductory got turned around into an eternity. I remember when cellular service included a free cell phone if you committed to a contract for a certain period of time, and a friend of mine that works in that industry told me decades ago they paid full price for the equipment and were concerned they wouldn't be able to bail themselves out of the problem they created. Now everyone pays for their phone, either through monthly payments or purchased outright.

I wonder if services like Soundcloud may (or should) head that way soon.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover