Panjandrum - a chapperz original

Started by chapperz66, January 24, 2016, 09:28:28 AM

chapperz66

Panjandrum 256kbs
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Panjandrum: A person who has or claims to have a great deal of authority or influence.

I just thought it was a great word.  I have very little importance or influence.

I started this song last year when it looked as though an "unusual time signature" fest was looming.  The first part is alternating 4/4 and 5/4 bars, and the part I loosely call the chorus is alternating 4/4 and 7/8.  The rocky bit in the middle is straight 4/4 - mainly to make it easier to widdle over!  The guitar was a strat - non-locking trem so the dive bombing sent it fouly out of tune.

Keyboard parts (including the rocky section drums) were mainly my Motif XS7 although I did use the soft synths which are part of Studio One 3 for some of the more sequenced parts and all the other drums.

I would have finished this a few weeks ago but I have had a problem with a plug-in preventing me exporting the mix.  It took me ages to isolate what was causing it.  I had to remove all the offending channel strips and replace with stock plug-ins.  I guess that is the joy of DAWs!  On a positive note, there are 45 tracks on this piece of self-indulgent nonsense so I don't think I would have been able to do it on my old BR1600.

Anyway, humour me....

Paul

bruno

Cool track - blimey 45 tracks! I remember now why I gave up on DAWs and when BR1600 - spent most of my time trying to fix issues, and by the time they were fixed, I'd lost the will to live (or at least the inspiration). Enjoyed all the interesting signature changes, they are sooo cool. Very nicely mixed, nice balance and playing.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Pipes

love the low, croaky, pulsing, synth sound..

..always like to hear cool time signatures. The 4/4 spoils it...only kidding..

marvelous marn..
Nick

chapperz66

To be honest, a lot of the tracks were "drums".  I used samples of 3 different kits here and used at least 5 tracks for each since one of the advantages of a DAW is not having limits on tracks.   So I bring the kick, snare, toms, Hihat and cymbals in on separate tracks and then disappear up my own backside EQing and compressing them! 

I have to say that so far my experience so far with studio one has been very good - notwithstanding the recent issue with this spurious plugin.  I loved the BR1600 as well but it was getting a bit long in the tooth and had the occaisional "Drive busy" error so I decided to leap to the DAW.  On balance, I am happy I did.  I'll let you know if I live to regret the change.  The BR is still in the cupboard!

Blooby

Your latest stuff is just shattering me. Seriously, it's left me questioning a lot of what I do (or can't do).

I'm completely serious when I say I wouldn't be surprised if your last few posts influence future (fully produced) posts.  We will see.

Just love this, mostly because of how the guitar makes his presence known now and again.

Blooby

Groundy

You are producing some brilliant stuff Paul....
This is another hit for me...
Well done....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Redler

Top class job on each way! Enjoyed this a lot!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

chapperz66

Glad you like it chaps.  Listening to it this morning I wonder if the mix is a bit muddy.  Might have another bash when I get home.

I'm off to Sunderland in a minute.  Got a bit of consulting work at a vending machine company this week.  Gosh!  That sounds exciting doesn't it.  Not!  The 240 mile drive to get there is a bit of a pain.

Catch you later.

Paul

Farrell Jackson

Holy momasita...45 frickin' tracks! You are a master Paul just keeping track of all those tracks! Great guitar, music and production. Moving to a DAW still scares the crap out of me so I'm still land locked with my standalones. You seem to have taken to it like a fish in water...nice one!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Kenneth

Quote from: Blooby on January 24, 2016, 02:12:49 PMYour latest stuff is just shattering me. Seriously, it's left me questioning a lot of what I do (or can't do).

I'm completely serious when I say I wouldn't be surprised if your last few posts influence future (fully produced) posts. 

I have to agree with Blooby. You always post music that makes me re-think everything I do and what I can't do.
Nice work Paul.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman