Streaming, non-commercial radio

Started by jmccull1, February 22, 2008, 06:54:25 AM

jmccull1

After reading a post by our Admin(Pedro?), I was motivated to write this post.

I too very rarely listen to commercial radio for music, and I refuse to pay for service(especially at home?) via XM or Serius.

Here are my two favorite listener supported streaming stations.

www.radioparadise.com
Radio Paradise plays a very eclectic mix of music. You will hear things that you recognize, and be introduced to artists and genres that you may not have heard of before. When something piques your interest, you can click the playlist log and song, and you will be taken to a nice bio of the performer or band. There is also a great area of the site where listeners can upload songs to be placed in the rotation(must be approved by OTHER LISTENERS). Very interactive.

Speaking of interactive, check out www.pandora.com
Pandora describes itself a Music Genome. You are able to establish your own stations(which you can name) based on giving the initial station a genre or artist to start with. Pandora will play a song from that artist or genre, and will proceed to feed your station with similar artists. You always have the option to 'thumb up/down' any song, guiding the direction of your station. You can also search for particular genres and listen to other's stations. Pandora has an incredible database as well...both for the music, and information.

Both stations are free. No credit card stuff. Just a valid email address. The really cool part is the interactivity. I have emailed both stations' admins and gotten relevant responses back from them. They believe in musical expression and freedom from the standard, commercial routes.

So, if you are here, you are a music lover! Check them out!
www.radioparadise.com
www.pandora.com

Jimmy Mac

Pedro

The first time I listened to radio paradise an awesome song was on, but I never listened to it again.

How do you listen to online radio? Do you use Windows Media player? I use Musikcube and I just can't seem to get it working... It has an online radio feature which is the most annoying...

jmccull1

As far as Radio Paradise goes(www.radioparadise.com), they have options for you right there on the site. I prefer WinAmp, just because it is quick loading and easy to use. Media Player is another option. And you can also select your sampling rate as well. The other reason that I use WinAmp, is that I have a shareware program called StreamRipper that allows you to rip a stream to a file(and listen later).

Don't forget Pandora(www.pandora.com). Another GREAT internet music option!

Jimmy Mac

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Pedro

Quote from: jmccull1 on February 29, 2008, 09:31:09 PMAs far as Radio Paradise goes(www.radioparadise.com), they have options for you right there on the site. I prefer WinAmp, just because it is quick loading and easy to use. Media Player is another option. And you can also select your sampling rate as well. The other reason that I use WinAmp, is that I have a shareware program called StreamRipper that allows you to rip a stream to a file(and listen later).

Don't forget Pandora(www.pandora.com). Another GREAT internet music option!

Jimmy Mac

Yes, what I tried to do was copying the adress of the windows media player, winamp, real player, all of them to the net radio section on musikcube, but it just doesn't work with it. Musikcube is by far the best player out there and its free! If only I could solve this...  :D

Lost Highway CWB

I like Radio Paradise very much!

I discover about a year ago, and listen almost every week, there are only music, no comercials and they play a set that goes on classic rock, jazz, blues, alternative, classic and a lot of interesting and obscure stuff all over the world.

It's just to choose the player, do a click and without register you can hear. Registered users have more access to information and other stuff.

I totally recomend, this one!

guitarron

yah radio Paradise-very cool
I didnt have to register to the site-is really necessary?

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

jmccull1

Radio Paradise has a very cool method of getting music into their playlist. Registered listeners(doesn't cost anything to register)can upload music to the site(only CD quality bitrate). If the song has not already been added to the RP library, it goes into a sub-area of the site, and goes into a periodic rotation where listeners can listen and thumb up/down a song. This goes on over a month or two. The song may get 1-20 plays over that period, and if it is accepted by the listeners, it MAY make it into the regular rotation. No real format.