Saint Patrick's Day mini-fest

Started by 64Guitars, March 14, 2014, 06:02:26 PM

64Guitars

PaddyFest (banner image missing)

Sorry for the short notice but this is the first of, hopefully, many mini-fests which we'll have to mark certain occasions such as holidays (Saint Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, Halloween, etc.) or when a famous musician passes away. So that they won't interfere with our regular festivals too much, we'll keep them short (a few days to a week or two tops) and not have them too frequently (maybe a half-dozen per year or something like that).

So think of a good Irish song and record something this weekend if you can. Late entries will be accepted next week but the important thing (as with all of our festivals) is to start it during the festival. If you don't finish till after the festival ends (Tuesday, March 18, 2014 in this case), you can post it late. But what we don't want is for people to start a new song for a festival after that festival has ended. So start something now if you can.

I won't create the same kind of jukebox that I create for our regular festivals. Instead, I'll embed a small jukebox right into this top message.
Update: I've created proper jukeboxes for all of the mini-fests. Click on the banner at the top of this message to get to it, or look in the main menu at the top of every page under Festivals/mini-fests/Annual.

Post your songs in the usual way in the Original Songs or Cover Songs boards and set the message icon to Festival Submission (see https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=13). We'll then add your song to the PaddyFest jukebox.

I hope everyone has fun recording a song for this, our first, mini-fest.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

Can you blatantly steal a tune and write your own lyric?
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

Sure. As long as the lyrics are suitably Irish.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hilary

What about songs covered by Irish artists? I'd like to do a Dolores Keane one.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

64Guitars

Quote from: Hilary on March 15, 2014, 06:21:16 PMWhat about songs covered by Irish artists? I'd like to do a Dolores Keane one.

When you say "covered", are you referring to a non-Irish song? I think the object of this mini-fest is to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day and all things Irish. So if you want to cover an Irish artist covering "The Rose of Tralee", for example, then that's fine. But if you want to cover an Irish artist singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water", then I don't think that's really in the spirit of this mini-fest. But I won't forbid it.

By the way, the songs for this mini-fest don't necessarily have to be written or performed by Irish songwriters and artists. They just have to have an Irish theme. For example, "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" was written by three Americans, yet it's often sung on Saint Patrick's Day and is definitely suitable for our mini-fest. There are probably lots of American songs that have an Irish theme, as well as songs from other countries.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

fenderbender

Well worded 64
I hope your post will open the floodgates
I personally would love to hear versions of Irish songs by members who have no Irish blood in them at all
after all I have spent most of my life singing (badly ;D ;D ;D) American and British songs
so lets go ___ ;D ;D ;D ;D
You are all honourly Irish for this weekend ;D ;D ;D

Sláinte

Tómas ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

fenderbender

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Hilary

Danny Boy - loved it Tommy :D (Miss Piggy does a great version of Waiting at the Church btw, that's more Cockney Fest/Cultural Fest than Irish Fest though!)

I hope you've had a lovely day ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

64Guitars

Saint Patrick's Day is fast approaching and it's time once again for our Saint Patrick's Day mini-fest. I've modified the banner graphic to show that it's now an annual event. So, even if I forget to announce it on time, you can submit appropriate songs for PaddyFest each year from March 10th to March 17th.

PaddyFest (banner image missing)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website