The Music News Thread

Started by Blooby, January 11, 2014, 08:29:38 AM

Blooby

Don't know if this will catch on, but since we all seem to be music nuts, it might be nice to have a central place where music news could be disseminated. I might suggest putting a headline bold and centered, so if this does catch one, people can quickly scan the thread. I guess I'll get the ball rolling with something dear to me.  

The Allman Brothers Calling it Quits

Seems like the inevitable has happened, and The Allman Brothers will most likely be folding the tent at the conclusion of 2014. Guitarists Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks have both announced that will be leaving at the end of 2014 to spend time on family are their repective bands. Bassist Oteil Burbridge will also likely leave as he was the bassist on the last Zac Brown album and has an offer to join the band.  In light of Gregg Allman's liver transplant of a few years back and the ages of Gregg, Jaimoe, and Butch Trucks, it seems unlikely they will host auditions and continue. There has been no official statement from the renaming members as of yet.

Haynes comments, "I joined the Allman Brothers Band in 1989 at age 28 for a reunion tour, with no promise or expectations of it going any further. Based on the uncanny chemistry we decided to continue and see where it all led. Now, here we are, 25 years later, and it has been an amazing experience.

"Being part of the ABB has opened a lot of doors for me and that's something I don't take for granted. The 45th anniversary is a milestone amidst too many highlights to count – I'm looking forward to an amazing year creating music that only the Allman Brothers Band can create."

Trucks says, "I got the call to join at the age of 19. I leapt at the chance. I didn't know how long it would last, only that I would let the music lead me and teach me.

"While I've shared many magical moments I feel that my solo project and the Tedeschi Trucks Band is where my future and creative energy lies. It's a difficult decision to make, and I don't make it lightly. Now seems like a good time to go out on a high note and in the mutual respect and friendship of the other six members."

In odd yet related news, John Hurt will be playing Gregg Allman in the upcoming biopic Not My Cross to Bear.

And finally, a concert in celebration of the music of Gregg Allman was last night in Atlanta.  It concluded with members of The Allman Brothers, Widespread Panic, Taj Mahal, Trace Adkins, Audley Freed, Vince Gill, John Hiatt, Keb' Mo', Sam Moore, Dr. John, Susan Tedeschi, Robert Randolph,  Jackson Browne (Gregg's former roommate waaayy back in the day), and a host of others all singing "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."  It was filmed for possible release down the road.

T.C. Elliott

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

T.C. Elliott

Oh and I forgot the obvious one (although I don't read it... ever.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/news
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Blooby

TC, Thanks for the links.  I go to some of those sites as well.  I was thinking of something a bit more in-house rather than links.

Blooby

Blooby

Don't know f this will interest folks here, but it seemed unlikely until recent events.

Christine McVie Rejoins Fleetwood Mac

More than 15 years after announcing her retirement from Fleetwood Mac, Christine McVie is back in the fold. According to Fleetwood Mac News, Mick Fleetwod confirmed McVie's return during a concert in Maui on Saturday night, telling the audience,"This is the worst kept secret there is, but Christine McVie will be rejoining Fleetwood Mac."

Last September, McVie reunited with her former bandmates in Fleetwood Mac during a concert in London. In a subsequent interview with the Guardian, she expressed a desire to rejoin the band permanently. "I like being with the band, the whole idea of playing music with them," McVie explained. "I miss them all. If they were to ask me I would probably be very delighted... but it hasn't happened so we'll have to wait and see."

In response to McVie's comments, Stevie Nicks told Billboard, "If Chris wants to come back to the band, I said to her, 'It's your band. I don't really think you have to ask. Because it's your band. McVie. Fleetwood Mac-vie? So, it all depends, Chris, on you. How you feel. Do you want to take this on again?'"

Fleetwood Mac is currently on a temporary hiatus as McVie's ex-husband, John, is being treated for cancer. In an interview with Rolling Stone last week, Nicks said John is "gonna be fine, adding, "He's got his treatment, and now he did a show on the 30th and 31st, another tomorrow night, then he has surgery next week. . . I'm not the least bit worried about John. He's very, very strong and a man of very few words. He's not a person to mess with."

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Burtog

Quote from: Blooby on January 13, 2014, 05:11:36 AMDon't know f this will interest folks here, but it seemed unlikely until recent events.

Christine McVie Rejoins Fleetwood Mac

More than 15 years after announcing her retirement from Fleetwood Mac, Christine McVie is back in the fold. According to Fleetwood Mac News, Mick Fleetwod confirmed McVie's return during a concert in Maui on Saturday night, telling the audience,"This is the worst kept secret there is, but Christine McVie will be rejoining Fleetwood Mac."

Last September, McVie reunited with her former bandmates in Fleetwood Mac during a concert in London. In a subsequent interview with the Guardian, she expressed a desire to rejoin the band permanently. "I like being with the band, the whole idea of playing music with them," McVie explained. "I miss them all. If they were to ask me I would probably be very delighted... but it hasn't happened so we'll have to wait and see."

In response to McVie's comments, Stevie Nicks told Billboard, "If Chris wants to come back to the band, I said to her, 'It's your band. I don't really think you have to ask. Because it's your band. McVie. Fleetwood Mac-vie? So, it all depends, Chris, on you. How you feel. Do you want to take this on again?'"

Fleetwood Mac is currently on a temporary hiatus as McVie's ex-husband, John, is being treated for cancer. In an interview with Rolling Stone last week, Nicks said John is "gonna be fine, adding, "He's got his treatment, and now he did a show on the 30th and 31st, another tomorrow night, then he has surgery next week. . . I'm not the least bit worried about John. He's very, very strong and a man of very few words. He's not a person to mess with."

This is good thing, I know the band is knocking on a bit but it wasn't the same without her, she's a bigger part of Fleetwood Mac than people give her credit for.

Still would love a MacFest
recorder
Boss BR-800

bruno

Not sure if this has been posted, but another muso death ...

Jazz guitarist Ronny Jordan dies aged 51

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25742223

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

Thought this was unique...

Blooby

Jack White to Release Neil Young Music Recorded in 1940's-era Record Booth

Last week Young suggested he'd traveled back through time in technical terms when it came to recording the album, offering hints about the peculiar attraction of working with just one microphone.

Now Rolling Stone reports it's likely A Letter Home was made on White's refurbished 1940s Voice-o-Graph machine – the last remaining public vinyl recording booth in the world.

Third Man describe A Letter Home as: "an unheard collection of rediscovered songs from the past recorded on ancient electro-mechanical technology captures and unleashes the essence of something that could have been gone forever."

Young used the Voice-o-Graph last year to track his cover of the late Bert Jansch's The Needle Of Death as a tribute. View a video of the booth in action below.

Last week the singer-songwriter recalled: "There's something that happens with one mic: when everyone sings into one mic, when everybody plays into the same mic. I've just never been able to do that, with some rare instances like when I record in a recording booth from a 1940s state fair.

"It sounds just like an old records – and I like the sound of old records."

Oldrottenhead

becks new album morning phase leaked on internet. some of it was recorded at jack white's studio.

http://www.timeout.com/london/music/beck-morning-phase-album-review
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann