Hammond Cheese and an inquiry

Started by Blooby, November 11, 2013, 07:31:03 AM

Blooby

Thanks so much for all the replies.  I am overwhelmed by all the features and options that have come with the package and have spread myself rather thin.  I am so interested in seeing if everything is working that I haven't spent too much time on any one aspect.

I think 64 and others nailed it.  A combination of recording a weak signal and then going back to fiddle with the guitar simulator was the culprit.  I can't remember exactly, but I think I soloed the track with a cleaner signal. Then I got a little crazy with the gain before rendering the MP3. I have since made another pass with a hotter signal and just about all the hum vanished (with still a healthy amount of gain).  I ran the organ through a Marshall sim as well to give it a taste of the late Jon Lord.  Will toy with the mix and repost when I have some time.

Thanks again.

Blooby

64Guitars

I meant to ask earlier but it slipped my mind... What are the details of this new recording system you've put together? PC or Mac? Which DAW software? Audio interface? Midi keyboard?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

andy casson

Blooby fella some absolutely rocking guitar! I can't help with the hum I am afraid, I would check the advise of these guys, they know far more than me! Loved the track though - cool

Andy

IanR

Quote from: cuthbert on November 12, 2013, 07:59:45 PMAlso known as a notch filter

Thanks Cuthbert.  I knew someone would have an understanding of this!

Blooby - I agree that getting to know how DAWs work is a big task.  I am trying to get to know how Sonar LE works so that I can use it to mix and master tracks from the BR800.  Even this cut down version of Sonar is tough. 

I have seen some of the benefits with the effects and plug ins that are available with the standard (out of the box) software and of course there would be more with others that that could be added on later.  I think the effort will pay off.  The problem that I foresee ( and there is not much chance of this right now) is over producing - spending too much time on the post recording process and not enough time moving on to the next song.  But like anything,  I guess, you have to learn and practice to get good at it.

regards,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Blooby

Quote from: 64Guitars on November 12, 2013, 10:01:12 PMI meant to ask earlier but it slipped my mind... What are the details of this new recording system you've put together? PC or Mac? Which DAW software? Audio interface? Midi keyboard?

I have been researching this for over a year, but I'm not sure how seriously. Presonus Studio One was being offered at a huge educational discount last year, and it got my wheels turning. I had some expenses back then that derailed my machinations. Anyway, about three weeks ago, I was down for about five days with a nasty bug and an abscess on my tonsils (rather painful I might add). They say that idle hands are the Devil's workshop, and as I was feeling well enough to surf the web, I found myself researching this stuff again. I then found the software at Samash.com for $100 less than all the other sites (I knew it was a mistake). I had a credit line with Guitar Center, not Sam Ash. GC ended up matching the price, and then it went downhill from there (financially speaking).

To answer your question, I went with Studio One Pro with the 44VSL interface (4 inputs). I got a dedicated PC that I will only hook up to the Internet for music software updates. I am determined to leave this machine as stable as possible. I also found a like-new AKAI MPK25 midi controller super cheap locally, but I'm not sure I will keep this. I am using a Yamaha keyboard somebody horse-traded me for a rocking chair a few years back. I bought an extra pair of used Tapco S8 (designed by Mackie) monitors a few years back for a killer price (I didn't need them at the time, but they were crazy cheap) and had many other musical goodies I've accumulated through the years...an embarrassing amount really.

It came with a gaggle of effects, loops, and instruments from a Native Instruments library, samplers, synths, Guitar Ampire, Guitar Rig, Reaktor, etc (a list is here). Getting up and running was a breeze.  Making sure all the add-ons were working correctly has been a long, mostly pleasant but sometimes infuriating headache. It was supposed to come with something called EZ drummer, but the company had some sort of falling out with Presonus, so they stopped giving download codes.  This took hours to figure out as I kept thinking it was an installation issue (Studio One is currently being advertised on several of the online stores as still shipping with EZ Drummer). I finally found something on the Presonus form that the EZ Drummer ship had sailed. I was so pissed that I immediately whipped out the credit card and downloaded Addictive Drums, which is bloody amazing. Within 15 minutes of it being installed, I was using my Yamaha e-kit as a midi controller. I also quickly learned how to quantize, which made my shoddy performance almost bearable (Simon Phillips I am not). The only other add-on was a plug-in called Valhalla VintageVerb, which I have been reading about for a while (review here). It is wonderfully lush and warm.

Well, you asked.  Forgive my prattling on, but as you can surmise, I am pretty excited.  What has been nicest is creating a dedicated space. I cleaned up a back bedroom, and it has become a centralized music lair (I think The Museum may be appropriate). It will be so nice not to have to set everything up when inspiration strikes.

Once I get more adept at it all this stuff, I plan to finally tackle my aforementioned progressive rock opus The Prog Fan Wants to Get Laid.

Thanks again for the input on the hum, folks. It helped me out a lot.

Peace.

Blooby

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on November 13, 2013, 05:28:36 AMTo answer your question, I went with Studio One Pro with the 44VSL interface (4 inputs).

I haven't tried Studio One but it looks like an excellent DAW. If anyone else is interested in trying it, there's a free version available for Windows and Mac. https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=14954.0

Quote from: Blooby on November 13, 2013, 05:28:36 AMI also found a like-new AKAI MPK25 midi controller super cheap locally, but I'm not sure I will keep this. I am using a Yamaha keyboard somebody horse-traded me for a rocking chair a few years back.

I too have an AKAI MPK25 (see my review here). I also have a Yamaha keyboard (PSR-2100). I love the AKAI because it's small enough to leave in my computer room, while the Yamaha is too big so it stays downstairs with my BR-864 and guitars. I like all of the assignable controls on the AKAI. They're great when using synth software as you can assign knobs to VCOs, filters, etc. and adjust them in real time without having to use the mouse and computer. Also, the AKAI has an arpeggiator while my Yamaha does not. The only thing about the AKAI that disappointed me is the pads. I had hoped to use them for creating drum tracks but I found that they're not very suitable for that purpose. They're not sensitive enough. You have to hit them really hard to get a sound, so it's difficult to control the dynamics. I tend to play drums on the keys instead, then edit them in the DAW sequencer to fix mistakes, improve timing, and adjust velocity. You can buy replacement pads for the MPK25 that are supposed to make it more sensitive. http://www.mpcstuff.com/mpk25parts.html According to the reviews I've read, it seems to work. I might give it a try one of these days. But you've got an electronic drum kit so you probably don't care about the AKAI's pads.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

you gave away a rocking chair? !!!! are ye aff yer rocker?   ?????
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Just have one thing to say: shut up and play your guitar some more !!! ; D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hook

Random dozen bump. Such a badass!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Redler

Quote from: Hook on July 23, 2017, 04:45:57 PMRandom dozen bump. Such a badass!
Rock on!

I missed this earlier - thanks for bump!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR