Basically Frightened - R.I.P. Colonel Bruce Hampton

Started by Blooby, March 06, 2012, 03:00:00 PM

Blooby

You may not have heard of Colonel Bruce Hampton, but I thought you'd be intrigued by this trailer.  If nothing else, you'll recognize some of the musicians in the interviews.

Blooby

launched

Incredibly cool vid - I'm going to find out more about this guy.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Greeny

Very interesting, and a clever little film. It makes you want to find out a lot more.

Oldrottenhead

he has something of the don van vliet about him, in looks and his stage performance too.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

He played the band leader in the movie Slingblade.  Mainly, he has been on the fringes of the Atlanta and jamband music scenes.  He has this knack for finding very high caliber musicians and has had a slew of bands. His most famous was the Aquarium Rescue Unit who were billed on the H.O.R.D.E. tours.  Hard to describe them. Unbelievable musicianship, quirky sense of humor, teasing a jazz standard one second, going into a bluegrass tune, maybe detuning and making noise until most of the patrons leave.  They were something else.

The Colonel was also a bit of a sage and espoused the notion of "Zambi," an egoless Zen-like state where your true personality comes through.

The movie should be interesting.

Blooby

Tony W

I knew that I recognized him, Slingblade uhhhhh huh. He was crazier than a shithouse rat.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

I love this guy...thanks for sharing this Blooby-man.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I found this video of a second incarnation of The Aquarium Rescue Unit (different singer, no more Colonel, and more funky direction) with the great Shawn Lane on guitar. If you are a fan of guitar, watch Shawn's solo (the big dude). It is so unbelievably over the top that I am finding it difficult to type from laughing.  He just keeps ratcheting up a notch or three. His solo starts about 3:15ish. By 4:40 or so, I think he is going to explode.

Lot of notes in this video. Oh, good gosh golly.  That was funny.

Blooby

Blooby

It is with heartfelt sadness to report that Colonel Bruce Hampton died last night at the culmination of his own 70th birthday tribute concert at the Fox Theater in Atlanta (where Skynyrd's famous live album was recorded). They were on the last song (Ironically, "Turn on Your Lovelight"...Let it shine on me...). Bruce was directing traffic on stage with members of The Allman Brothers, Phish, Blues Traveler, Widespread Panic, Tedeschi/Trucks, and many more when he sank to one knee and then slumped to the ground (there is video but I don't particularly wish to see it).

There's some Internet flack about the musicians not rushing to help him, but I assume most thought it was part of the act. The Colonel is a hard person to encapsulate to the uninitiated.

Blooby

Farrell Jackson

R.I.P. Colonel Bruce....the master of jam bands.........

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?