Posting frequency / How to get more comments

Started by 64Guitars, February 21, 2012, 02:45:15 PM

Gnasty

I`m sorta off topic here too but let`s also remember that time is money usually globally, and here that is not the case at all. To mention a billion times how much time 64 and Admin put into this site is not enough. Adding up your comments is a chunk of time and just uploading is time.

Now I`m a slow song poster but I feel 2 songs a week is an amicable thing to do but that`s just my opinion. If you do offsite it doesn`t flood the jukebox which is a good thing. When i look at the recent jukebox which is 3 days of songs and see the same name on there 5 times i`m honestly kinda hesitant to comment on all (except ORH, i`ve been used to him from the start :))

When it comes to comments, i heard people asking what`s the best way to listen to someones songs on here???
There are so many ways! You have a mouse, just click on jukeboxes, unread posts, members jukes, hidden gems etc. Don`t understand how that question is asked. Another thing that i do sometimes is I see who is online and i listen to their last song posts and they can see i posted while they are already online. It could make their day!

At the end of the day everyone doesn`t like the same type of music. Impossible! BUT every genre has it`s instrument and vocal that has talent and that is what i listen for!!

To reference to this site to any other is ridiculous to me at all. Which other site doesn`t have advertisement and each page you turn some annoying prick saying " :)Congratulations! You Won!" ??
Roland should actually fund this site for all the great support it gives their product. They probably would if they knew about it!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

phantasm777

just some observations.

if a frequent poster is using SC bandwidth, then i understand the problem with that, but if you're using your own link to another site. it helps SC and should be considered pertaining to frequent posts. also i understand there is not a way to do it yet, but those who do link outside of the site, help the sites bandwidth yet are indirectly punished by not being on the jukebox and such.

i am still rusty on guitar and bass, new to keys and vocals, my full talent for now, lies in drumming, but once i work out those kinks i'll be creating a lot. i am assuming that not multi posting applies to curent works too EVEN if you use your own link, just to be clear.

also so far everywhere i've read here on the subject, say, there is no problem if you dont like a genre or style and dont post, yet if you dont post enough replies it "can" be used against you in less replies, as refferenced. meaning you might not get replies back. thats ok if they dont like my genres styles, but hopefully its not done to "get back" at someone for not posting to someone else, or cause they dont post enough to many. ( i dont think anyone here would be like that but there is the slight possibility, i dont know)

i've said here before everyone here has talent, there are no sucky musicians, songwriters here, that i have heard, even in the songs i didnt like cause of the genre ( one example, if i see a nirvana cover i am not going to listen, i cant stand them) i cannot fairly comment. other than possibly brown nosing and give a compliment indirectly, which im not going to do, i prefer to be real. but at least you can know where i am coming from. cause we all have groups, styles, genres we dont like.

i see a point in what maxit says, about limitations, however i also understand it is not his or my site in that respect.

from day one i posted my music from my own website, having experience in working in forums, being an OP in some some sites in the past, even IRC, i knew SC would have only so many GB's of space for music, and each posting, whether words images or music lessens it, to varying degrees. especially being new i didnt want to do that. so only my words waste bandwidth. (which wastes the least compared to images, movie files and music) :P

also henwrench mentions about bandwidth and conserving it, im assumming he is reffering to multi posting songs. the thing is, if the link is from an outside source, which is in some cases, then its not wasting bandwidth. this should also be considered?

however, i am for obeying rules. and when i get to the point im making  a lot of sogs and it comes time to post them, i'll deal with it when the time comes, cause thats not gonna happen anytime soon so it's not much of a concern for me, as far as me doing such a thing.

Hook

Quote from: Gnasty on February 24, 2012, 08:15:18 AMNow I`m a slow song poster

Quality over quantity brother, I should learn that!

Quote from: Gnasty on February 24, 2012, 08:15:18 AMRoland should actually fund this site for all the great support it gives their product. They probably would if they knew about it!

I always kind of thought they might be secretly behind this place. has anyone approached them? I would think they would be interested in this kind of publicity!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Tony W

Quote from: Hook on February 24, 2012, 11:10:49 AMI always kind of thought they might be secretly behind this place. has anyone approached them? I would think they would be interested in this kind of publicity!

I prefer a private site, owned operated and managed by musicians FOR musicians. Sponsorship wouldn't keep this place being what it is. We are thrive on mutual respect and a general compassion towards each other, it's been that way all along. Roland can't buy that.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

I can't argue with that Tony! I was thinking more an arrangement where they pay and leave us alone. There name is already all over this place, I think maybe they should make a donation to the cause. The common cause of creativity merging with technology and making sweet music!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Gnasty

Quote from: Tony W on February 24, 2012, 11:16:32 AM
Quote from: Hook on February 24, 2012, 11:10:49 AMI always kind of thought they might be secretly behind this place. has anyone approached them? I would think they would be interested in this kind of publicity!

I prefer a private site, owned operated and managed by musicians FOR musicians. Sponsorship wouldn't keep this place being what it is. We are thrive on mutual respect and a general compassion towards each other, it's been that way all along. Roland can't buy that.

Quote from: Tony W on February 24, 2012, 11:16:32 AM

Yes yes! Agree agree!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

bruno

My 10 cents worth. I've posted quite a bit - most of which I recorded in January (I set my self a goal to record 10 tracks this year - and hit a rich vein of creativity) - that's at an end - so only new stuff from now :-)

Actually, thats not the point I wanted to make. Nothing in this life is for free. This is a great community - and works off the back of the effort of those who run it. For that, I would like to say, even as a newbie - a big thanks to those who run this site. It takes time, it takes cash and it takes commitment, and sometimes it goes unnoticed cos we are wrapped up in our latest song. So a big, big thank you - who ever you are, I presume the administrators. I'm quite interested in the history of this site - how it came to be. There is nothing (that I can find) on who creates this excellent site.

What I will say is that I'm more excited at the prospect of collaborating. To me, the though of working with people across the globe, musically is a truly fantastic prospect. And hey, some will work, and some won't - but thought of trying is simply fantastic. I love music, and hope to never be 'up my own arse' (wonderful Brit phrase - I'll let our US friends work that one out :-)

Let me say, I am a firm believer that being technically a great player doesn't equal making great music - music is about the moment, about how much you can move the audience, not how well you or do not play. That's not to say great players don't make great music, but its not a foregone conclusion. Having played for some 35 years - I think a great sound, and what you choose to do with that sound is much more important than how fast you can play. Technique simply gives you more options.

Still thats my musings - Looking forward to collaborating to all and whom wants to :-)

B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Dmann

I've got in shit before for just being blunt and saying stuff as it should be without the beating around the bush, so first off, if anything I say offends you, then your taking it personally and it's not meant as such. 2nd, Anyone complaining about this needs to take a step back and realize what is actually being said.

I haven't posted in a long time, I don't even visit the site too often lately, been really busy with life,

BUT.....Being completely honest here, I joined this board back when there was only about 15-20 regular visitors' and as the site grew, I found it harder and harder to comment on peoples work because I don't know about the rest of you but I don't critique someone elses' piece of art that they spent hours and hours on by giving it a once over and quickly judging it, then moving on.

This is something that really pissed me off about one of my old bands, the drummer and bass player would give a quick listen to something I worked on daily for a month and then proceed to tell me how they had an opinion on it after one quick listen. No offence but IMO they didn't even give it a chance, and unless your some music producer that does it as a full time job 10 hours a day for the last 20 years, you are no where near qualified to judge my creation after a single listen.

I mean thats awesome if all you want is people to post "great job," or "cool song." And sometimes thats all that can be said, but really whats the point in posting it on the net then? If no one is going to remember it tommorrow because they just listened to 15 other songs once over and posted "nice job," it pretty much defeats the entire purpose of sharing. Which leads to the point I believe 64 is trying to make here. Too much of anything is never a good thing.

I don't know about a lot of you but I am lucky to get a free hour to browse the net, which means I can check out maybe 2 or 3 songs and give them the actual attention deserved and the time to post a review. While I realize we are not all pro's here, I do believe if you spent the time and effort to create a song and post it on this board, your doing so because you want the community to hear it and review it. What 64 is trying to say is, when there are tooo many posts, then no one is getting the attention deserved.

phantasm777

64guitars, i think i have a legit question. if i do a new verion of an old song i did in a band way back, isnt that like doing a new version of a cover song? as long it is something newly done. i have 2 songs sitting in limbo i'd like to get done which are remakes of songs i did in the 70's. wouldnt that qualify as long as it is something done now rather than putting some old recording on here?

bruno

There are some really good points being made here, and goes to the heart of what this site is about.  Totally get the point of back catalogue - and over posting, there is a saying of 'don't feel the quality, feel the width'. I am a little torn on this though, and there is a balance to maintain a vibrant community.

Dmann - you make a really valid point, and totally understand where you are coming from. The problem (and the beauty) of this community is that it is pretty anonymous. Therefore I don't know if I will offend, even offering constructive criticism - so sometimes I err on the side of caution and perhaps don't post - which is a shame, because we all learn through our mistakes - and we can all learn from each other, no matter what the skill or ability.

Music is very personal, what one person thinks is great, another will dislike. Me and the misses listen for completely different things in music - I love chord progression, she loves lyrics. So I'll listen to a I, IV, V piece and think its dull, she will think the lyrics are fantastic - but that's the way it goes.

I like to think that I can take constructive criticism, the reality is any criticism is uncomfortable, but if I want to put my creations in the public domain, I have to accept the full range of reactions - and that some people will simply hate what I do, some will like it. What I hope is that people will constructively critique by work, and offer 'have you thought about this ..' or 'I personally would do ...' or 'I'd remix that if I were you ...' and hopefully 'I really liked that because ..' - as 'good job' doesn't really tell you a whole lot. That said, most of the folk hear do the above really well. It gives an opportunity to feed back as well, to share your findings such as 'I got that sound by doing x, y and z' - which again helps us all learn. Too be honest though, not easy answers, and this site will struggle with this question for as long as it exists.

Finally, I would like to say, if I post that I like it or love it - I really mean it.

And I'll say it again, a big, big thank you to those people who keep this site up and running, so that we can share our music, thoughts and ideas.
B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600