Past Festivals

• RockFest
  • woodstock
  • NeilFest
  • BluesFest

Recurring

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Micro BR-80  (Read 55590 times)
Rhamahkil
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2011, 10:24:21 pm »

Hey guys! I recently bought the recorder and have been playing with it for some time. I saw this thread as the most active one right now about the Micro BR-80 so I decided to ask here:
In the manual it says that the eBand mode allows you to record your playing along with a backing track, but when I listen to the recording, I hear the backing track as well. I was wondering if there was a way I could listen to a backing track just like in eBand, but WITHOUT it recording on the record itself. What I mean is this: I have some songs that friends of mine wrote and recorded, but they are missing bass, which they asked me to add (I'm a bassist). I want to be able to record a bass part for that song, without the song being recorded as well. Kinda like auxiliary I guess. The only solution I have found for this so far is to record the track, without me playing, then IMPORT it to the MTR. The thing is, whenever I import it, the quality degrades so much it hurts!
I hope someone could help me with this problem, this is a really important feature that I need to be able to use when I use the BR. To record my instrument and have a song in the background.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:50:31 am by Rhamahkil » Logged
Henky

« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2011, 05:12:10 am »

The thing is, whenever I import it, the quality degrades so much it hurts!
I'm curious what you mean by that?
In what way is the quality degrading?

I have some songs that friends of mine wrote and recorded, but they are missing bass, which they asked me to add (I'm a bassist). I want to be able to record a bass part for that song, without the song being recorded as well.
I would not use the eBand mode for this at all and go straight into MTR and import the song of your friend using the BRWC software that comes with the BR-80.
If you're finished you can use the same utility again to export it to your computer and send the seperate files to your friend or use them in your DAW (f.e. Sonar which also comes with the BR-80).
What you descripe is typical something you would do with a multitrack machine and therefore the multitrack mode is the most appropriate for such a task..

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Zoom HD16
recorder
Zoom R16
recorder
Cubase
Rhamahkil
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2011, 05:35:43 am »

The thing is, whenever I import it, the quality degrades so much it hurts!
I'm curious what you mean by that?
In what way is the quality degrading?

I have some songs that friends of mine wrote and recorded, but they are missing bass, which they asked me to add (I'm a bassist). I want to be able to record a bass part for that song, without the song being recorded as well.
I would not use the eBand mode for this at all and go straight into MTR and import the song of your friend using the BRWC software that comes with the BR-80.
If you're finished you can use the same utility again to export it to your computer and send the seperate files to your friend or use them in your DAW (f.e. Sonar which also comes with the BR-80).
What you descripe is typical something you would do with a multitrack machine and therefore the multitrack mode is the most appropriate for such a task..

So I have to use a computer program? What if I'm no where near a computer? I can't do it with the recorder alone?

And about that quality thing, in MTR mode you have the option to import a .wav file of the same name as the MTR song into a track. That option is located in MENU-->TRACK EDIT-->IMPORT. Thing is, it doesn't import it perfectly. I tried to import from both eBand and LIVE REC, and neither of them sounded as good the recording itself.
nowheremancy
« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2011, 06:37:46 am »

Hello again,
Was wondering if anyone could tell me the easiest/quickest way to create a midi file to make my own patterns and import into the BR80?  Totally not getting Sonar...and no previous experience in DAW recording. Is anyone aware of a midi file creation program thingy or am I being ridiculously simplistic.  Tried really hard with the bundled sonar program, followed the tutorials but didn't even get past importing the demo audio...followed the instructions to the letter and couldn't find the blighter anywhere...two hours of frustration and I threw in the towel...
64Guitars
Administrator
Legend
Veteran Member

« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:00 am »

Was wondering if anyone could tell me the easiest/quickest way to create a midi file to make my own patterns and import into the BR80?

Try Hydrogen. It's free and since it only does drums, it's easier to learn than most DAWs.

http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

And it can export directly to a midi file.

Binaries available for Linux, MacOS X, and Windows.

recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity

Links:

cuthbert
Administrator

« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2011, 08:51:00 am »

So I have to use a computer program? What if I'm no where near a computer? I can't do it with the recorder alone?

You don't have to use a computer program (BRWC v.3.10, specifically) - it just makes it faster to get audio files into and out of the BR-80.

If you don't want to use the BRWC software (which is highly recommended and a real time saver), then you can drag a WAV file into the LIVEREC folder, and then import that into one or two tracks in MTR mode.

And about that quality thing, in MTR mode you have the option to import a .wav file of the same name as the MTR song into a track. That option is located in MENU-->TRACK EDIT-->IMPORT. Thing is, it doesn't import it perfectly. I tried to import from both eBand and LIVE REC, and neither of them sounded as good the recording itself.

Not sure I understand what you mean here - the name of the WAV file you import is not dependent at all on the MTR song name. It can be any file system-legal name and be imported into any song, whatever its name, on the BR-80.

I also don't understand what you mean when you write that your WAV 'doesn't import perfectly' - all BOSS BR multitrack recorders use a proprietary compression format, and WAV files get converted on import (or from the BRWC software). It's not uncompressed, but the audio that I've worked with in the BR-80 has always had excellent audio quality.

Maybe you can provide more details - what are the bit depth and sampling rate of your source WAV file? Is it stereo or mono?

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase
64Guitars
Administrator
Legend
Veteran Member

« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2011, 08:54:15 am »

If the song you wish to import is in a file (WAV, MP3, etc.), then obviously you have to use a computer. You can do it without the BR Wave Converter software, but it's not as easy. And since you need a computer either way, I'd recommend using the BR Wave Converter software.

If the song you wish to import is on another audio device such as an MP3 player, then you could connect the Line Out from the MP3 player to the BR-80's Line In and record it. But the quality will suffer slightly (though perhaps not noticeably). You'd be better off copying the file from the MP3 player to your computer, then importing it into the BR-80 using the BR Wave Converter software.

A wave file imported from LIVE REC or eBand mode should sound exactly the same in MTR mode. The only reason I can think of why it might sound different is if you imported a stereo recording to a single track which would make it mono. You need to select a stereo pair of tracks as the destination to keep the song in stereo. So the destination should be TR12, TR34, TR56, or TR78.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the same name as the MTR song". The name of the wave file which you copy into LIVE REC or eBand mode can be anything you like. The name of your song in MTR mode can also be anything you like (within the character and length limits of the BR-80). They don't have to be the same. MTR mode will import the specified track(s) from the last-accessed song in either LIVE REC or eBand mode, regardless of its name.

Just noticed that cuthbert beat me to it and said basically the same things as me. But I thought I'd post mine anyway since I've spent a fair bit of time typing it.

recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity

Links:

Rhamahkil
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2011, 09:17:29 am »

When I enter the Track Import option from MTR, in source i see this: [LIVE REC CURRENT SONG] or [EBAND CURRENT SONG]. I can't choose anything else, only between these two.
Here is a picture
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/807/31003510150351972901815.jpg

EDIT: Whoa, I just realized I'm more stupid than Lindsey Lohan on drugs, so I'll just shut up now.
cuthbert
Administrator

« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2011, 09:29:43 am »

Yes, you have to choose the song you want to import in LIVE REC or eBand mode first, before you import it into a song in MTR mode.

I think that's a bit of an annoyance compared to for instance importing in the Micro BR, but it is what it is...

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase
64Guitars
Administrator
Legend
Veteran Member

« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2011, 09:36:45 am »

When I enter the Track Import option from MTR, in source i see this: [LIVE REC CURRENT SONG] or [EBAND CURRENT SONG]. I can't choose anything else, only between these two.

Yes, but "current song" just means whichever song was last accessed in that mode (LIVE REC or eBand). It has nothing to do with the name of the song.

For example, suppose you have a wave file called "House of the Rising Sun". You copy this wave file into eBand mode and name it "RISINGSUN". Now you switch to MTR mode and create a new song. Let's say its name is "SONG0017". You go into track edit mode and select Import from EBAND CURRENT SONG. Since it's a stereo wave file, you set the destination to TR12-V1. After the file is imported, you can play back tracks 1 and 2 while recording your bass on track 3.

( and cuthbert beats me again. I must be getting slow in my old age. Cheesy )

recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity

Links:

64Guitars
Administrator
Legend
Veteran Member

« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2011, 10:03:26 am »

Anyone know how to enter lowercase letters into a song name or patch name in the BR-80? The manual shows only uppercase letters. But the screen shots on page 84 show a mastering patch named "Mix Down". So I assume that lowercase letters are possible.

In other BRs, you can toggle the currently-selected character between uppercase and lowercase by pressing [ENTER]
( [TR3] on the original Micro BR ). But on the BR-80, pressing [ENTER] accepts whatever filename you've entered and writes the song or patch to the memory card.

Just curious. I don't have a BR-80.

recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity

Links:

cuthbert
Administrator

« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2011, 10:25:00 am »

Anyone know how to enter lowercase letters into a song name or patch name in the BR-80? The manual shows only uppercase letters. But the screen shots on page 84 show a mastering patch named "Mix Down". So I assume that lowercase letters are possible.

In other BRs, you can toggle the currently-selected character between uppercase and lowercase by pressing [ENTER]
( [TR3] on the original Micro BR ). But on the BR-80, pressing [ENTER] accepts whatever filename you've entered and writes the song or patch to the memory card.

Just curious. I don't have a BR-80.

Great question, 64G - yes, you do it with the scroll wheel. From the default all capitals letters, you can scroll clockwise to get directly to lower case letters, or counterclockwise to select special characters and numbers.

Also the scrolling loops, so wherever you are you can get to where you want to be pretty quickly.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase
64Guitars
Administrator
Legend
Veteran Member

« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2011, 10:48:47 am »

Thanks cuthbert. I wondered if it might be something like that. My BR-864 also lets me scroll through the list of characters with the VALUE wheel. I probably would have guessed that the BR-80 worked that way too except every screenshot in the manual shows the available characters starting on 'A' and ending on 'Z'. If they'd included a screenshot where the available characters started on, say, 'H', then it would have been more obvious that you can scroll through a much larger character set.

Still, it would be nice if the BR-80 had a way to toggle the case with a single button press like the other BRs. Have you tried pressing various buttons while in song or patch naming mode? Maybe one of the TR buttons, or A<>B, for example?

recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity

Links:

cuthbert
Administrator

« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:44 am »

Still, it would be nice if the BR-80 had a way to toggle the case with a single button press like the other BRs. Have you tried pressing various buttons while in song or patch naming mode? Maybe one of the TR buttons, or A<>B, for example?

Nope, no hardware shortcuts to toggle case or character set as far as I can see. I tried pressing multiple buttons, too. Maybe there's an Easter egg someplace? I did like how you could do that fairly quickly on the Micro BR.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase
64Guitars
Administrator
Legend
Veteran Member

« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:17 am »

That's too bad. It would have been nice if they'd used the TR buttons so that you could go instantly to the section of the character set that you need. For example, TR1/2 could show uppercase characters starting at 'A'. TR3/4 could show lowercase characters starting at 'a'. TR5/6 could show numbers, punctuation, and other symbols. And TR7/8 could toggle the case of the currently-selected letter. Oh well. At least lowercase letters, numbers, and other characters are available, even if it's not quite as convenient to access them as it could be.

recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity

Links:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 43
Print
Jump to: